Ford Forums banner

Replacement 9.50 X 16.5 tire options

42K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
I am looking for 5 new 9.50 X 16.5 tires, load range D or E, radial not bias ply. There seem to be very few options. I was hoping to find a tire around 32 inches in diameter. The tallest one I can find is the Firestone Transforce HT at about 30.8" tall.

No more choices from Goodyear or BFG?

Al

#3 ·
jwko -- Thanks for the info. I called Discount Tire Direct and they said they don't have any 16.5 tires as it is an "old size" that is uncommon. I guess that makes me an old size, too, as I still need them. I told them fordforums.com referred me.

So, I'll keep looking.

Al

#10 ·
360ci- thanks for the link. I knew about the Firestone Transforce (see my initial post) as they are my choice if I can't find anything else slightly taller than 30.8.

There are very few options despite the fact there are still a lot of trucks on the road with 16.5 wheels.

Al

#11 ·
#12 ·
360ci -- thanks for the info on Cooper 9.50 X 16.5 tire choices. Both of the Coopers are smaller in diameter (30.3" and 30.4") than the Firestone Transforce (30.8"). I need as much height as possible within the max 32" tire height to fit the Bronco suspension limits so my truck can get over railroad track when it derails or has to drive over grade crossings, etc.
Send me your email address and I'll email you a pic of my Bronco with its railroad wheel kit.

Al

#13 ·
Post the pic up here! Click on the yellow photo icon at the top of the text window and copy in the URL so it'll show up.

Perhaps I'm just not too familiar with the specific application of the truck, but I'd look into getting 17" wheels. You can get them 9-10" wide with lower profile to easily get a 32" size, this way they will fit over the tracks. I do realize that the rims would have to be greatly offset so that they hug the rim close to the chassis. Perhaps a shortened axle will work instead? It's been a while since I've seen a railroad truck, last one I saw had the front end on the rails (steel wheels aligned to go on the track) and the rear tires were pulled in toward the chassis so they can run on the track and push the vehicle forward. By the look of it, it seemed to have a shortened axle as the outside sidewall of the tire was a good foot inside the edge of the fleetside body. Body builders generally do what is the lowest cost thing to do at the time don't forget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.