Rim and tire sizes?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31   #1 (permalink)

confused Rim and tire sizes??

I just bought a 2004 F-150 4x4xlt 4doors, shortbed and want to make it look a little better. I bought a 2 1/2 inch leveling kit. With this kit how big of tires can I put on it? And should I put a 16in rim or go bigger to the 18in rim? I do not know what to do!!
Seamo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 11:29   #2 (permalink)
wwb

Re: Rim and tire sizes??

Rim size doesn't matter... the overall height of the tire is what matters. With a stock suspension (no lift) you can easily go to a 33" tire, with a 285 to (maybe) 315 width...... 315 may rub at full lock unless you increase the backspace by 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

If you don't know how to figure tire height, it's like this....

Take the section width, convert it to inches, multiply it by the aspect ratio, double that number, and add it to the wheel diameter.

As an example, a 285/70-17 should come out to about 32.7" if you do it right.

Edit..... I just noticed it's an F150..... I was referring to an F250 when I said it would take a 33" tire. I have no idea what you can put on a 150.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel