Runnin terrible - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:15   #1 (permalink)

Runnin terrible

So i posted needing help with ignition but before i go into that i figure i should actually try to fix a problem first...so anyway i have the 1970 429 out of a mercury marauder and i was out muddin one day and i hit this mudhole pretty hard full throttle and keep in mind my truck ran perfect prior to this...anyway after i got into the mudhole all of a sudden my truck started kinda backfiring and missing and ive been trying to diagnose the issue but havent really gotten anywhere yet so im wondering if possibly when i hit i may have jumped time or something or if there could have been a possible over-rev and bent a valve or something...i know its hard to diagnose without seeing the vehicle or hearing what it does but these seem like very possible issues...also i was told it could be something to do with my voltage regulator if water may have messed it up because i have fried 3 batteries now and im pretty sure i may have fried some other electrical because my headlight switch and stuff wont work...wired the lights to a toggle switch for now...sorry for the long post just trying to get the most info out so as to better help possibly diagnose the issue...any help would be greatly appreciated because its gettin close to springtime in michigan which means its gettin to be muddin season haha...thanks
jerrysf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 09:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Runnin terrible

This slipped my mind but i should also add that after it happened for a long while it would run good then out of nowhere started the backfiring and missing again and when i would get done driving it and let it sit for sometime not even an hour all of a sudden it would go back to running perfect again and the crappy running would come and go periodically although now it is constant and doesnt go away...hopefully that helps give some ppl some more insight as to better diagnose the problem
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

First thing you got to do is rectify fault that is causing alternator to cook three batteries .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:29   #4 (permalink)

Well thats why i mentioned a possible voltage regulator issue because mine is located on the alternator and with it being very susceptible(spelling?) to water and mud getting on it thats what i think it may be the voltage regulator causing the alternator to possible over charge the batter possibly
Old 03-20-2011, 12:24   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's possible something is overheating and causing the running problem. Find out what the battery is charging to. That will overheat a lot of things if it's too high.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43   #6 (permalink)

am i correct in assuming your talking about overheating different electrical components and if so what would be some of the main things that i would be worrying about overheating considering there isnt too much electrical with an older engine like that...i was also reading it could be ignition module so if that overheats???not sure haha but thank you for your input anything is greatly appreciated...im gettin the itch to hear that thing fire up again
Old 03-20-2011, 12:45   #7 (permalink)

and to expand on my assumption do alot of those things automatically shut off when too hot or should i expect to possibly have to replace a bunch of electrical components if that happens to be the case
Old 03-20-2011, 13:46   #8 (permalink)

also haha i keep thinking of things as im thinking more about it...the misfiring and backfiring do get worse as u accelerate and then at a maintained speed it is still worse than idle too and i know for a period of time when trying to start the vehicle the starter would sound like it wanted to turn but it wouldnt and just kind of made an electrical sound like i dont really know how to describe but it was like it was putting power to the starter but not enough to power it or something haha
Old 03-20-2011, 14:48   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The ICM can cause those type of problems as well as the pick-up coil in the distributor. Those starters need a lot of currant to run, As for the overheating, all of the electrical components heat up as the power is turned on to them.
Old 03-20-2011, 15:31   #10 (permalink)

You know what that distributor pickup coil actually sounds like a good lead for the problem and i am going to have to check that as one of my first things because now that you mention that i do remember a few times checking the cap and rotor and all that stuff and when i did it made the miss go away for a short time so perhaps something got bumped or something and cause the issue to i guess hide itself for a while till something caused it to happen again...and as far as the electronics heating up i understand that they do when power is run to them but what i was wondering with some of those older components if they have like a safety or something where if they start to get too hot they shut down or blow a fuse or something along those lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel