Slipping Transmission - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:23   #1 (permalink)

Slipping Transmission

I have 2008 F150 Lariet with a 5.4 Triton and automatic trans. When traveling about 30 mph and I feed a slight amount of gas the trans slips between a downshift from third to second. It doesn't happen if I feed a lot of gas and up shifts are fine and solid. I replaced trans fluid and filter and no change. Is this normal?
stang73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:23   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Slipping Transmission

It's not normal. It may be the throttle position sensor or other controls. See if there are any codes. The light doesn't have to be on Autozone or O'Reilly's will check for free.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17   #3 (permalink)

I checked for the presence of any codes. There no hard codes or pending codes.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

One of the sensors could be causing that. A scanner that can get data may be able to find what's happening.
Old 06-23-2013, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

I believe there is a TSB for that. Slight shift flair on the 3-4 shift under light load. Reflash for the PCM to fix it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01   #6 (permalink)

Hello. I am new to the forum and I have an 08 F150 FX4 with the same transmission issues. I have taken it in to my local dealer twice and was told that there was no TSB. The 2nd time they did a tranny service and still have problem.
My question to all is there a particular TSB# so I can look it up and/or give to the Service Dept. to show them? I now have 53K miles on it but I can use my extended warranty if needed.
Any info would be appreciated, and thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
NMFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:31   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

I'm sorry I missread his concern. There is no TSB for a 3-2 flair. Only a 3-4 on light throttle. As far as a 3-2 flair a fluid change will not likely have an affect. Many possibilities for that concern. Without driving and monitoring data hard to make a guess. Would need looked at by a reputable Trans tech. On a 3-2 downshift the direct clutch turns off and intermediate clutch comes on. If the clearance for the clutch packs or pressures are off could create your concern.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 19:57   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMFord View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum and I have an 08 F150 FX4 with the same transmission issues. I have taken it in to my local dealer twice and was told that there was no TSB. The 2nd time they did a tranny service and still have problem.
My question to all is there a particular TSB# so I can look it up and/or give to the Service Dept. to show them? I now have 53K miles on it but I can use my extended warranty if needed.
Any info would be appreciated, and thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
There's so much going on with today's automatic transmissions that it's really difficult to diagnose online like this. I suggest you take advantage of your extended warranty and try to get the problem isolated. Some thing that seems like an annoying nuisance now can eventually snowball into something expensive.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34   #9 (permalink)

I recently brought my 08 to Ford for the 3-2 flair problem and they said there is a TSB that addresses the problem. I, however, don't have the number. It was a simple re-flash of the computer. This is covered under the powertrain warranty (60,000 miles). My truck had 60,015 miles and was not covered and they wouldn't budge on the warranty. Since they re-programmed the computer I have had no more 3-2 flair
Old 07-24-2013, 10:44   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad it been fixed. Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel