starter engages while truck is running , need help PLEASE!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 19:51   #1 (permalink)

starter engages while truck is running , need help PLEASE!!!

i have a 1999 f150 xlt with a 4.6 l engine . i havew some weird electrical issue. first off my starter wants to engage while the truck is running. I ive checked for bad connections and cleaned off and wires that could possibly have a short. Ive also replaced the ignition switch, starter , solnoid, basically everything I can think of. In the past the truck has done weird stuff speraticially such as heater stays on after the ignition is off and the signals still work, wipers sometimes dont work when in gear or work uncontrolably, sometimes the heater relay clicks after key is off, had power locks click, clicking from under the hood might be from solnoid. ????????? WTF could it be?? Any ideas?? Could it be possibly the ECM or beats me time to sell it. ive heard maybe water leaks from windshield on to it so ive heard but but ive never noticed any . please if anyone has any ideas what it could be email me brent.l.lang@gmail.com or post Im new to forums so hopefully ill be able to find my post .... thankx and much appreciated
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: starter engages while truck is running , need help PLEASE!!!

To me, it sounds like an Ignition switch problem, but you've already replaced that. Weird
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 21:19   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

Did you replace the ignition switch, or the ignition lock? Big difference and many people call the lock the switch. The lock is where the key goes and the switch is mounted on the column, under the dash (above the brake pedal)
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 00:48   #4 (permalink)

yes replaced the switch not the lock .. thanx
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 20:25   #5 (permalink)

try the starter solenoid on the firewall. it gets stuck sometimes. i had it happen to a couple times. theyare like 9 or 10 bucks at the local parts store.
slickvic3106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:46   #6 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic3106 View Post
try the starter solenoid on the firewall. it gets stuck sometimes. i had it happen to a couple times. theyare like 9 or 10 bucks at the local parts store.
He said he replaced that in his first post. Of course, new doesn't always mean it's good.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel