starting problems on wifes daily driver - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 18:45   #1 (permalink)

confused starting problems on wifes daily driver

Hello,
We have a 1990 ford f-150,with 5.8 and e4od tranny.Had to pull the truck home because it would not start.We put a new solenoid on the front fender.Worked good for a few days.It left her sitting again.Turn the key on and it would not start but could jump it with a screw driver.Replaced the ignition switch under the dash.That worked for a few days.The we bought a new neutral safety switch on the tranny.Worked for a few days again.Some times you can move the shifter lever and it starts.Other times you have to put it in low and go into park and it will start.I adusted the shifting lever before the tranny linkage under the truck and it works once or twice then the same problems.I am half tempted to run 2 wires from the solenoid to a switch on the dash so the darn thing wont let her down.Any ideas? Thank you Rick
greyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: starting problems on wifes daily driver

Check under the dash where the linkage mounts. There are torx screws that loosen and the linkage gets sloppy. They face straight up towards the steering wheel.
Old 06-08-2010, 20:21   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Bert,
Will check that out this weekend when the wife stop burning up the highway.Its a real pain,all the people I know all have chevys and they cant help me out.Thanks Rick
greyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04   #4 (permalink)

Have you checked the starter solenoid ? Not the one on the fender but the one on the
starter ? The terminal BEHIND the hold down nut for the pull in coil rots out. Had the same problem on my 93 - 95 Taurus and my 92 F150. In 50 years i think i replaced only
2 fender mounted solenoids that were actually bad.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel