Steering box bolts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2004, 23:53   #1 (permalink)

Steering box bolts

hi all....anyone had trouble breaking bolts.....put grade 8 in last time but still broke them.....next step will be to plate the chassis I guess....

BTW.....this is on my 84 F100.....not a 150 I know, but close enough

This toy has to go http://members.dodo.net.au/~omegapower/XD.html
rigidshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 23:42   #2 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Re: Steering box bolts

no problems breaking bolts here, get yourself a nice pressure regulator and dont run 175 psi of air to you impact gun.
also try putting a little antiseize on your bolts and they wont bind up so tight, so you can remove um a little easier the next time.
Old 09-14-2004, 17:48   #3 (permalink)

did them up by hand, but I now run over them every couple of weeks and can always get a bit more on them.....got me stumped

Old 09-14-2004, 22:06   #4 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

there's your problem,
you cant keep wrenching a bolt down every week or yes it will keep breaking off.
no matter how hard the grade of bolt you use.
when you wrench down a bolt the specified torque is in relation to the bolt diameter.
for example a 1/2" bolt can be torqued to about 85 ft lbs and dont quote me on that number i am just using that for example.
i can however tell you an exact torque if you tell me the diameter of the bolts you have.
anyway to get back to your problem, you are cranking these bolts down tight and after a week or so the steel starts to stretch and then again you crank on it some more and get a 1/4 turn and then after you do that 2 or 3 times you have the bolt weakened from stretching it.

get yourself a torque wrench and go by the numbers or put thread lock on the bolts and you will know they are not coming out by themselves.
Old 09-15-2004, 00:29   #5 (permalink)

only reason I check them every couple of weeks is because it costs too much to put the F100 on the back of a tow truck....

bit more history....snapped them once....put in grade 5....they lasted about a year....snapped them and put in grade 8....they lasted about 3 months.....put in grade 8 again and now check them all the time....but thanx anyway, listed this in another thread and aussieG suggested using a different type of bolt, so I'll be trying that

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel