Ford Forums banner

Still soft pedal

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
With love and respect.

I have had fords all my life and can"t figure this one out. Please help!!!

1990 Ford F-350 One ton dually, I was having issues with having to bleed the brakes to get a pedal that feels right. By the time I was done I have replaced everything on the brake system. on the front new calipers, bearings, rotors, brake pads, break lines, brake booster, master cylinder

On the back new break cylinders, shoes, spring kits, drums, bearings, seals, Put new fluid through whole system. Mostly wanted all new because I am rebuilding the whole truck. Can"t afford $79.000.00 for a new truck. Already new rebuilt tyranny (bullet proof) new upper/lower ball joints, new inner outer tie rods, shocks etc.

I still have a very soft pedal. I adjusted the arm on the brake booster until they rubbed and backed it off. A little at a time. I have bled them no less than a dozen times. Please help because I am stumped at this point.

I have not replaced the lines and have checked them from end to end. No leaks., Have I missed something? Break pedal still goes to floor before I get any brake.

Respectfully
FordFord

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd start climbing under with a flashlight and checking joints. If all the lines are new, you're not likely to have a line weeping, but it could be from a fitting that's not quite leak proof. I chased a soft pedal for a couple of weeks, never saw a drip until my weeper opened up to a leaker. My issue was up in the frame rail on old brake line, but I've seen similar issues with fittings.It doesn't take much of a leak to create a soft pedal, you might not get any active drips. Usually I go back and clean everything with degreaser or brake cleaner (depending on location) and once it's good and dry, I give the pedal some hard pumps, then wipe the new joints with a dry paper towel to see if I have any wetting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.