Super Duty plugs PITA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 15:36   #1 (permalink)

Super Duty plugs PITA

any body change these? Used to be easy. these are set way down in a hole under a coil. I went to reef on the first plug and it wouldn't budge. It was a 9/16th's socket on the old(all I had was a regular deep socket) and the new plugs are 5/8's. Better get the proper socket before I break something.

Anyway these old plugs have 100,000 on them, so thought I'd better change them, but it don't look easy.
tinkersdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 05:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Super Duty plugs PITA

Hey how did you make out? I'm thinking of changing mine and wondering if I need anything special for tools, are the original plugs 9/16" or 5/8" only seen 9/16" on lawn equipment. Any help would be apperciated
bob5529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:25   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: Super Duty plugs PITA

for some reason the picture function won't upload....anyway, as advertised I twisted off the first plug in the head. I tweaked on the rest, on the passenger side since I have everything layed open and exposed, but chickened out on trying to remove any more. I ordered and got the $229 tool, got the broken one extracted and replaced as directed by the tool manufacturer. Put it back together, so now I have one new plug and 7 old ones. I talked to the local dealer and a tech said he wrecked all 8 plugs once, and he pulled the intake manifold off instead of the heads to get at them.

I'm procrastinating right now, I won't let the dealer do it for the amount they will charge. When I return to the problem, I'll have to pull the heads to do a descent job of this. As hard as these are to get at, I don't see repeating what I did on the easy one working on the rest in the back of the heads.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:26   #4 (permalink)

and yes, you need a 9/16th's deep socket on these plugs
Old 02-29-2008, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
wwb

When you do replace them, be sure to dab the threads and the taper seat with a nickle-based high-temp anti-sieze compound.

In the "good ol' days" when you changed the plugs every 10,000 miles (or at least pulled 'em, cleaned & regapped 'em, and put 'em back in), stuck spark plugs were a rarity.

These days, it's 100,000 miles and several years between changes.. by which time they're stuck real good.

"My diesel ain't got no spark plugs", he said smugly.....
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 19:41   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Super Duty plugs PITA

Got'er done....hooray.

thanks to Aero Kroil, soaked them for about 3 hours and all 7 came out in one piece. Two required a cheater bar, but they still held together. I loaded the holes with Kroil and let them sit, then blew out the Kroil. Broke the plugs loose to where they started making noise and then squirted a little shot of Kroil, and worked them back and forth. I also fabricated a washer to fit on the extension shaft of my socket wrench that was the same diameter as the top of the plug hole...to be able to apply perfect STRAIGHT TORQUE, which can only help the cause. That helicopter juice saved a real ugly Ford fight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel