switch auto to manual? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 16:59   #1 (permalink)

switch auto to manual?

i have no mechanical experiance. this may sound stupid but i loved the f-250 i had. it was a stick. now i have bauoght a 95 150 with auto trans. i would love this truck if it was a stick. right now i only like it a lot. can you put in a manual. i know it is probably expencive but i have many recources. what i dont have is a lot of money. has anyone everdone this before and what steps should i take? be bruttaly honest i can take it.
logan1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 10:28   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: switch auto to manual?

Personally, anything can be done. It's a matter of finding parts that can match up. In most cases, manual transmissions, let alone for the '95 styled trucks will be few and far between to find. You can contact Keisler Auto, or Richmond Gear (search Google for websites) and they might have some kits that can help you out. Their kits change every few years though, and you will pay top dollar for a newly built trans.

Personally, if your auto still works fine, leave it alone. When the auto starts to go out or flat out dies, then you might find spending the extra $1-2K on a manual transmission conversion worth your while if you plan to keep the truck that much longer. Replacing the Auto trans will run $2-4K depending on shop labour, parts used and warranty - if any.

To do the swap you'll most likely have to change the bellhousing to fit the manual trans, and with it being a '95, I think that was the year that OBDI emissions came out, so you'll have to play with the PCM (custom programming) a bit, or you'll get engine lights saying that the automatic transmission is malfunctioning, etc, when in fact it's been replaced, lol. Anyway, mounting points might have to be altered, along with the installation of a clutch pedal and other associated hardware. If you have a column shift on the F150 now, you'll have to get someone to machine a hole in the floor to accept the stick.

Not to deter you from doing the swap, as a while ago I considered getting one done to my '00 Durango R/T. A kit from Keisler was available, but I was too busy to see it through and now the kit is no longer available. It was a kit made for Dakota (2wd) trucks, but with some extra effort, and my wallet, I could have made it work for my application. Ah well.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 14:44   #3 (permalink)

thank you for the advice and info, maybe one day when i have the time and money this could happen. as for now i cant spend that kind of coin. just a dream i guess. i could probably find a differant truck for a little more.
logan1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Yeah. If you search around for a while, you should find something with a manual trans that's a fair price. Most folks don't want manual trucks anymore. It's a shame really. Good luck with the search!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel