Theft Avert Safelok? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 05:35   #1 (permalink)
1998 Ford F150 NASCAR Ed.

Theft Avert Safelok?

I recently purchased a black 1998 NASCAR Edition F150 from a private seller via Craigslist. It was a project truck, had some frame damage which I took care of. The guy I bought it from put a lot of extra stuff in the truck - aftermarket lighting kits, racing pedals, cold air intake, and some other stuff. One of the things that he put in is a Theft Avert Safelok system. It's this little key thing that's mounted under the steering wheel near the fuse box. As long as the electronic key is in the box then the truck will start. However, if you take the key out, then the truck can't be started with the actual ignition key, or via hot-wiring. It's not a bad little passive theft deterrent system. The only problem is that it's more of a hassle to remove the key every time you leave the truck, and it's placed so that I guarantee I'm going to accidentally knock it out while I'm driving someday. Not only that, but the installation job was terrible and left a ton of extra wire just all over the place. So, now I'm trying to find out if anyone else has one of these and can assist me with uninstalling it. I want an alarm system, but I'd rather have the one that makes noise when someone tries to break in, not the kind that could possibly prevent me from driving it. Anyone ever heard of or use the Theft Avert Safelok?
UNFJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 20:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Theft Avert Safelok?

Ok, I hate these things.

My girlfriend has one in her terribly aging 94 oldsmobile. She has always just left the anti theft key in there, since she still has the ignition key for protection and because no one wants to steal her car anyways.

Look, removing these is a huge gamble. If not done right, it might prevent your car from starting ever again. If I were you I would just leave it in there. No one wants to steel your blingged out 10 year old truck. If you have an ignition and door lock key you have all of the protection you need.

p.s. don't get an alarm system if you manage to remove this thing, no one pays attention to them any more.
847alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel