timing 93 f150 5.8l problem lol - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 22:00   #1 (permalink)

timing 93 f150 5.8l problem lol

yes i seem to have a problem with the distributor.
when i had the heads off i turn my crank shaft to tdc number one piston.
and made sure both valves are down, that means both lifters were in the block while this piston was up. but i heard that theres to postions this happens at. and i could be off 180 degrees.
i know that the truck will try to crank, and you can hear a couple of fires, and then some poping noises. but i rotate the distributor maybe one tooth in either direction and get nothing. so do i turn the distrib all the way 180 degree to the other side and fix this problem? i didnt mess with the timing chain, so it cant be that. help me i would like to hear it crank.
JohnryanH228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 03:59   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: timing 93 f150 5.8l problem lol

Setting needs to be on the compression stroke or you will be off 180 degrees. Pull the dist. and rotate the engine to #1 piston tdc on compression stroke. Don't just R&R the dist 180
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:28   #3 (permalink)

well how do i do that without pulling the head back off?
i cant see the piston. and its running now. but im still off. i turn my distrib both ways and it doesnt help. well not yet. so how do i fix this problem?
and i dont have a timing light. so im guessing its running pretty advanced right now.
when i put the truck in reverse to back up it backs up some and then the engine stops.
but it will go in forwar and run right. and i didnt have any transmission problems to start with, and i havent messed with the transmission.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:20   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

There may be a better way, but what I've always done...... Pull the #1 plug, turn the engine by hand while holding your finger over the plug hole. When you feel compression pushing on your finger, that is the compression stroke. Remove your finger and look inside the plug hole with a flashlight. When you see it get to the top then you'll see it just start to go down. Back it up just a hair so you are right at the top. (I guess you could also put the timing mark on the damper pully on zero to be dead on)Then you can make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 wire on the cap. If not, pull the dist. and re-insert it so that it does. Of course, I would double check that you have the firing order correct.

let us know how you come out.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46   #5 (permalink)

yeah i tried a couple of firing orders. because some guy gave me a 5.0 firing order and said it was a 5.8. and the truck wouldnt start at all. and im going to try that today. i just need someone to hold their finger on the spark plug while i turn the crank. i have 5.8 firing order that the engine actually starts with. its so hard to get info when this is not the original engine, and it has had many modifications. so when i had the heads off i put the #1 piston at tdc with both lifters down. both i was 180 degrees off. i forgot the power stroke looked the exact way. or does it?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:32   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

If the truck starts its not 180 out. Tell you what to do. Bring the engine to TDC, pull the cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to or close to the #1 tower on the cap. If its 180 out, turn the crank another 360 degrees. Remember the crank turns 2 revolutions to 1 revolution of the cam. When the rotor is pointing toward the #1 tower on the cap, put the cap back on.

Since you don't have a timing light, this will get you close. After you get it on TDC compression, set the crank on the correct timing mark. I think its 10 degrees BTDC (Before Top Dead Center). Remove the #1 spark plug, with the wire on the plug, ground the plug to the exhaust or something on the engine. With the key on, slowly rotate the distributor till you see the plug fire. Do this a few more times till you get it right to the point the plug fires, lock down the distributor.

The firing order should be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 with the distributor turning counter clockwise.

Cylinders 1-4 on the passenger side front to rear 5-6 drivers side front to rear.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, its a whole lot easier to show someone in person how to do this.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 23:00   #7 (permalink)

have you ever heard of a 351w having a 302 firing order? i have a guy working on it.
uhmm most of the pistons had a compression of 140lbs-160lbs, the last one on the drivers side had a compression of almost 200lbs. what could cause that, with the 351w original firing order you get a pop back through the intake (alot) but its def a 351w we have a serial number plus the distributor sets way lower the the top of the block, we think we got the timing marks right, and a 302 firing order seems to work, but the truck is almost completely out of gas. we will find out tomorrow. but i would like some advice on how did the compression get so high?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:30   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I had a 1978 351 that had a perfomance cam and the manual said to use the 302 firing order.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01   #9 (permalink)

well this truck was overhauled by edelbrock parts. so im guessing it would have a proformance camshaft as well. so the 302 firing order should work? and what would give it such high compression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel