timing problem on 1990 F150 inline 6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 16:53   #1 (permalink)

timing problem on 1990 F150 inline 6

Hello,
My son bought a 1990 F150 inline 6. It is running but not perfect. We went to set the timing today and the timing mark is on the bottom of the crank pulley. I put #1 plug at top dead center compression stroke and checked the distributor. the rotor was pointing to #1 wire but the timing mark is still 180 off. I believe this means that someone changed the timing chain and got it off but I wanted verification before I tore everything apart. Does this sound right? The next question is about the spout connector. Is it the connector coming from the distributor that has two wires going into a plug that is plugged into a plug with no wires coming out of it?
billproctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 14:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: timing problem on 1990 F150 inline 6

Well for what it's worth.............I had a 91 lincoln town car years ago that was running poorly and I took it to the dealership and they told me that if you removed the piece in the end of that connector it retarted the timing 4 deg. ????? they spent hours test driving etc. and never fixed it. Turned out that the fuel filter was my problem, no thanks to them.....Should be easy to see with a timing light!!!..........Hope that helps.
vettester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:55   #3 (permalink)

the spout connector is computed timing acts just like the old vaccum advace you take it out when you are timing it.
bkmurray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:03   #4 (permalink)

and the old 300 will run if it is 180 out you need to pull the distributer find tdc on #1 cylinder and reinstall the distributer acordingly.
bkmurray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel