Top loader 4 sp shiftless - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12   #1 (permalink)

Question Top loader 4 sp shiftless

'86 F-250, 460, 4x4, 4 sp w/granny,....
The gear shift moves all over the place and real hard to find gears. Was quite an issue getting it home.
My "Chiltons" manual is useless , all is tells is how to remove the tranny.
I need to find out what the inards look like before I pop the top of the tranny.
Anyone have a pic, diagram, or info on situation?
Lil Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 12:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: Top loader 4 sp shiftless

I pulled the shifter boot, unscrewed the cap that holds the lever and spring, and removed the shifter. Can't really see down inside due to the dash is in the way.
BTW, before I pull up the carpet, is there a removable piece of the floorboard to access the top of the tranny?
Old 07-02-2011, 13:45   #3 (permalink)

O.K., I pulled back the carpet, and yes, there is a removable plate and I removed it.
I need to clean off the top of the tranny before I pop the top.
Sure would like some tips before I open 'er up. I ain't scared, just like a pointer or two.
Old 07-02-2011, 16:00   #4 (permalink)

Well, I have the top off now, after takin' a lunch and movie break (It's hotter 'n heck outside right now). There are 3 shafts that the shift forks ride on mounted on/in the tranny cap.
Between the shifter stick and the forks there must be something missing.
Nothing to hold the shifter in place within the notches of the shifting forks.
I'm thinkin' maybe a plastic or some type of non-metalic bushing/insert is gone.
Anybody know what's missing?
Old 07-05-2011, 14:10   #5 (permalink)

The gear shift lever is a two piece part. The lower portion has a nylon "ball" that is molded to the lower end of the lower shaft that actuates the shifting forks. This part is obsolete according to local Ford dealer. A local parts house is working with me to find the part. I may end up going to a wrecking yard to hopefully find that part in fairly good condition.

BTW, the tranny is a T-19 Borge Warner top loading 4 speed.

If anyone knows of a place to get so called "obsolete" truck parts, I and others would sure like that info.
Old 07-06-2011, 17:50   #6 (permalink)

The guy at Ford was full of it. There isn't any "nylon ball". I found a shop that exchanges trannies and got to see an exploded view of the tranny.
There are two notched pieces of metal that are notched for the shifter and actuate the shift levers. That's what's missing!
Now to find those pieces. The tranny shop doesn't sell parts and couldn't or wouldn't tell me where to get them. So,......the search is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel