Totaled my 150, need help with question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 22:32   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Totaled my 150, need help with question

Hello everyone, first time to this forum and long time Ford F-150 owner.

Got into an accident yesterday with a Nissan Sentra (lady in the Sentra said she didn't se me coming lol). My 150 was a 2000 Lariat 4x2, I'm guessing there going to total it due to the age....and an oil leak caused by the accident. One things for sure....BUILT FORD TOUGH!

Here's the million dollar question....the accident ended up to be a front end collision (due to the nature of the situation, I hit her). Now I was going 40mph but with hitting the brakes and hitting her I probably hit her going 30mph. With this said my air bags did not deploy....SHOULD THEY HAVE DEPLOYED???

I'm being told that I have a case against Ford because of this. Before I go any further I would like to know if anyone has/had encountered this situation before.

Overall I miss my 150, she helped me with alot of things. I would hate have this end with me buying a cheap foreign car . If my case does seem sound...maybe I could end up with another F-150.

Any advise/assistance would be appreciated.
R_ACE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 00:00   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Totaled my 150, need help with question

That's a good question. I think a frontal crash at 30mph would have blew the bags.

Any pics?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 17:04   #3 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Were you injured in a way that airbag deployment would have prevented/reduced? If so, you MIGHT have a case, but you'll need to pay one HELLUVAN attorney, and quite a few high-priced professional witnesses to win anything. Odds are you'll lose regardless.

If you're not injured, then it proves Ford built the truck & the SRS perfectly: you didn't need them, and they didn't deploy. Buy another one.

Remember that "totalling" is just an insurance company option. It has nothing to do with you or the truck. It just means they'll pay you the maximum value of the truck, as it was moments before the collision. Be sure they add the value of any cargo that was damaged, as well as any lost work (assuming your policy covers them). Repairs are meaningless, other than to show the truck's condition - you don't get that money back. Upgrades/mods MAY be added if you followed the policy's provisions for reporting/documenting them.

But no matter what, the truck & all its contents belong to YOU. If they offer to buy it, you can negotiate the price they pay you, over & above the value of the policy (which they'll pay regardless). If you can't come to an agreement, it's your truck to keep/sell/repair as you choose.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 22:01   #4 (permalink)

I was in a wreck with my 1997 F-150 and almost totaled it says my insurance company. I was going about 35 and hit the car going about 25-30 after trying to stop.
Old 07-27-2009, 20:50   #5 (permalink)

Airbags are designed to deploy in frontal and near-frontal collisions more severe than a threshold defined by the regulations governing vehicle construction in whatever particular market the vehicle is intended for. U.S. regulations require deployment in crashes at least equivalent in deceleration to a 23 km/h (14 mph) barrier collision, or similarly, striking a parked car of similar size across the full front of each vehicle at about twice the speed. International ECE regulations are performance-based, rather than technology-based, so airbag deployment threshold is a function of overall vehicle design.

Unlike crash tests into barriers, real-world crashes typically occur at angles, and the crash forces usually are not evenly distributed across the front of the vehicle. Consequently, the relative speed between a striking and struck vehicle required to deploy the airbag in a real-world crash can be much higher than an equivalent barrier crash. Because airbag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed and damage are not good indicators of whether an airbag should have deployed. Airbags can deploy due to the vehicle's undercarriage striking a low object protruding above the roadway due to the resulting deceleration.

The airbag sensor is a MEMS accelerometer, which is a small integrated circuit with integrated micro mechanical elements. The microscopic mechanical element moves in response to rapid deceleration, and this motion causes a change in capacitance, which is detected by the electronics on the chip that then sends a signal to fire the airbag. The most common MEMS accelerometer in use is the ADXL-50 by Analog Devices, but there are other MEMS manufacturers as well.

Initial attempts using mercury switches did not work well. Before MEMS, the primary system used to deploy airbags was called a "rolamite". A rolamite is a mechanical device, consisting of a roller suspended within a tensioned band. As a result of the particular geometry and material properties used, the roller is free to translate with little friction or hysteresis. This device was developed at Sandia National Laboratories. The rolamite, and similar macro-mechanical devices were used in airbags until the mid-1990s when they were universally replaced with MEMS.

Nearly all airbags are designed to automatically deploy in the event of a vehicle fire when temperatures reach 150-200 °C (300-400 °F).[citation needed] This safety feature, often termed auto-ignition, helps to ensure that such temperatures do not cause an explosion of the entire airbag module.

Today, airbag triggering algorithms are becoming much more complex. They try to reduce unnecessary deployments (for example, at low speed, no shocks should trigger the airbag, to help reduce damage to the car interior in conditions where the seat belt would be an adequate safety device), and to adapt the deployment speed to the crash conditions. The algorithms are considered valuable intellectual property. Experimental algorithms may take into account such factors as the weight of the occupant, the seat location, seatbelt use, and even attempt to determine if a baby seat is present.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel