trade in the 250? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 17:50   #1 (permalink)

trade in the 250?

I am new here, but I found this forum in my quest to answer a few truck questions. I currently have a 2002 250 crew cab with 4 wheel drive, auto trans, 7.3 liter diesel, long bed.
I pull my 4 horse trailer with it fine, but I just bought a 6 horse trailer and I am trying to decide if I should trade in my current truck for a 350, or just upgrade the rear springs in the 250. From everything I have read, this model year is the same as the 350, except for the rear block. I just don't want to be unsafe, but I am really happy with this truck, and I don't want to trade in the 7.3 engine if I don't have to. Any thoughts??

BTW, I will be hauling about 18,000 lbs with the trailer loaded..obviously it is a gooseneck!

Thanks!
ctrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 14:30   #2 (permalink)
wwb

Re: trade in the 250?

The rear suspension is the only difference between the 250 and 350, so upgrading the 250 would give you, in effect, a 350. Depending on your local friendly law enforcement, however, you could be cited for an over gross load, since it's still a 250 as far as they're concerned. If truck scales are no problem where you'll be hauling, then go for it.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 17:41   #3 (permalink)

I have never had to go through a weigh station in the last 8 years of hauling, so I am not too concerned about that. I just want to be safe! I guess I can always play the dumb blond girl thing if I do get pulled......

Now....will the dually make THAT much of a differnce hauling??
ctrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 18:03   #4 (permalink)

Absolutly a dually will make a big difference. more traction in incliment weather, better braking, no rear sway of the vehicle, i would also think about rear bags to even the load out help keep weight on the front end.
gmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:31   #5 (permalink)
wwb

In my experience, the only advantages to dual rear wheels are:

1) Higher load capacity based on tire ratings

2) More lateral stiffness

In snow, duals are far worse than single tires, and they offer no advantage in braking.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 14:54   #6 (permalink)
Rockin' F250

biggrin Re: trade in the 250?

NOOOOOOOOOOO! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

The 7.3 is a far supierior motor than the 6.0. I have an 01 F250. I put extra leafs on the rear with bags and no problems, other than it rides like a TANK.... My truck is built just for towing, not an everyday driver so with the load behind it it's not all that bad of a ride. My opinion.... Keep the 250 if you like it, just throw extra leafs in and a set of bags on and you'll be good ta hook.
I had about 5,000 lbs of Allen Block in the bed, and didn't even sag (95lbs in the bags). Drove a little different down the freeway but just don't get in a race and you'll be fine. You state that you'll be towing a goose, and I realize thats different than a "bed load" but just givin' some feedback..... Good Luck, and post your decision in the forums if you would....
kess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:39   #7 (permalink)
canuck

I'd get a 350 model to be on the safe side. I'd try to stay with a 7.3L as well. There is no replacement for displacement as Ford found out after the problems they encountered with their newer 6.0 design!

I have to disagree with one of the previous posts: A dually will be better in the snow (I live in snow 8-9months of the year) and have driven several over the years. There is no comparison. Especially if you can get a dually with a limited slip axle, you'll have it made. They also brake better too, more tire on the road = more stopping power. It's been proven time and time again with all those truck and car magazines I get! even in the latest Motor Trend truck of the year comparison, dually's stop 20 or so feet sooner than SRW models of the same brand and the duallies weigh 800lbs more! I also found that the dually's offer better stability when towing along windy roads.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel