Ford Forums banner

Trash/Water in fuel line???

16K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FloridaGator01 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting here, but I thought somone might be able to help me. I drive a 2002 F150 4.6L/V8 Supercrew. I was going to be traveling to a town 30 minutes south of me where the gas is always cheaper so I purposely let the fuel get very, very, very low so that I could fill up down there. Before I could reach the town the fuel light came on (I ignored it) and then after awhile it started missing a lot..... I realized that I may have sucked up some junk or water out of my nearly empty tank into my fuel line. I filled up when I reached the town but it did not help at all, I then purchased a fuel system cleaner that also said it would remove water, I just finished that tank of gas and it did help some but not enough.
I now want to change my fuel filter. I do not have my owners manual so I went to a website and downloaded it but it did not show me where the filter is located. How can I change something if I do not know where it is :) Is there a website that would give me step by step directions on how to do this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Karen

#2 ·
You can check here: Download PDF PDFTown.com | Free Download PDF and eBook and search for F150. You'll be able to get the complete service manual there. If you find the file and are prompted for a password to open it and view the files use 'pdftown.com'

I doubt there is anything in the fuel tank that shouldn't be there. Perhaps driving 30miles to get the 'cheap' gas is exactly your problem. Spend the few extra cents per gal and get the good stuff, and you'll save driving half hour out of your way,each way, just to get fuel. Don't forget it's not just fuel, but to save a few bucks, figure that it costs (with fuel and maintenance; tires, oils; wear and tear on components) close to 25 cents a mile anyway for a 4x2 crew cab. That trip costs you $7.50 each way once you factor in regular wear and tear. So unless you save more than $15 at this station when you fill up, it's really not worth the drive there.

If you haven't had a tune up done to the truck in the last 40K, I'd get one done. Fuel filters are generally just outside of the tank. I know on my Durango the fuel filter is integrated into the tank and with good fuel can last upwards of 250K, too bad the pumps don't last that long!

Another thing to think about: the fuel pump USES fuel to keep itself cool. Running the tank extremely low on capacity can over heat the fuel pump and cause it to fail prematurely.

#4 ·
You didn't pick up trash or water by running the tank low. All fuel tanks pull from the BOTTOM at all times, so if there was trash/water, it would produce symptoms within a few minutes of filling up.

But the fuel lubricates & cools the pump impeller & motor, so it's possible you damaged them by running it DRY. If it never went dry, then it's probably OK.

You should be able to find links to several online shop manuals from here:
Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO
But be aware that SOME fuel filters require a special tool to disengage the lines, and almost all result in fuel spilling down on the person disconnecting the lines, so it's probably not something you want to do yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.