Truck takes 2-3 tries to start when has been sitting for an hour - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 14:07   #1 (permalink)

confused Truck takes 2-3 tries to start when has been sitting for an hour

We have a 2006 F-150 5.4 liter Lariat that takes 2-3 starts to run when has been sitting for an hour. It's not the E-85 either. It seems like after we put gas in it, is when it doesn't want to start. After the truck has been sitting for over an hour, it seems like it will start right up, with just a bit of hesitation after the motor turns over. BUT, when there's not much gas in the tank, it seems to start easier, any advice?
recott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 02:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: Truck takes 2-3 tries to start when has been sitting for an hour

A gas cap can cause a Check Engine light because it allows fuel vapor to be vented into the atmosphere. It is part of the pollution system.

If the battery is always charged well enough to spin the engine with authority there is nothing wrong with the Alternator.

If the car can set all week-end and still spin the engine with authority then the battery is holding a charge and that's all you can ask of it.

The temperature sensor is tied into the computer system and it could cause any number of things. The way the electrical systems are tied together on new cars anything wrong can cause symptoms that you would never believe.

This is not electrical but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.
Example: I had a heater that was blowing hot air at the driver and Air Conditioned (cold) air at the passenger. Solution; replace the brake vacuum booster. It was leaking and the vacuum was insufficient to operate the passenger’s control. It was OK for the driver. Trust me these things are crazy. Oh, yeah, the brakes worked fine but I had a check engine light and a traction control light.

I wish you luck, you may need it.
drifter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:15   #3 (permalink)

Sounds maybe like th fule pump or filter, possible the bypass vaule on the fuel pump not keeping the line pressureized.
c1t1d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 19:56   #4 (permalink)

Filter
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:07   #5 (permalink)

throttle body could need cleaned, had a similar problem with my 99. Father in lae also had same problem
hiawassee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel