Truck wont start once the engine is warm??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2003, 16:57   #1 (permalink)
City Slicker

confused Truck wont start once the engine is warm???

Hey, I'm new here and I’m hoping that someone will be able to help me out. I'm driving an 88 F-150 with a 351 in it. This summer I found that if I drove for a good hour of highway driving, and shut off the engine, that it wouldn't start unless I got a boost, or waited an hour or so.
Now if I go for a short 20 min. drive and shut off it the same thing happens.
The battery seems to be ok because I can start it fine if I wait.
Does anyone know what I can do???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2003, 19:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: Truck wont start once the engine is warm???

If not starting means that it would turn over but not fire, the TFI module is a likely culprit. The TFI modules are famous for causing this problem and there have been lawsuits filed against Ford for this very problem. They get hot and quit working correctly. The TFI module is a gray rectangular plastic box a bit bigger than a large box of matches and should be mounted on the distributor housing in your vehicle. If you replace it, be sure to use dielectric grease between the module and the distributor to keep it cool.

If not starting means the engine won't turn over once the engine is hot, your starter is overheating. If you have headers or a bad exhaust leak, this will sometimes cause the trouble you're describing. Insulating the starter motor with the heat shield type material available at most parts houses will solve your problem.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 19:35   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Get a spray water bottle, and wet the starter motor down when its hot and wont start, if it fires up, then you have an answer, or always carry the bottle full of water, worked for my brother till he bought a high temp starter, and insulated it as well.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 20:22   #4 (permalink)

I would check the battery. My battery worked fine when cold and if i waited for it too cool down say an hour, She would start right up. I checked me timing and all because ive heard that can cause it but in the end it was my battery. It was good enough to start it but get any heat she'd just roll over and over and over and over and so on.
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
City Slicker

Thanks for the info. It'll give me something to work on seing as I didn't have an idea!
Old 12-26-2003, 19:24   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problemthis summer with my 89 f-150. It is the egnition module. I would have to wait for an hour or so for the thing to cool off, If you crack the hood if takes less time. It shut off on me once when I was in the middle of the freeway. It happens once it gets warm, after a while it won't start at all. Like bigbronco said be sure to use the dielectric grease with it or it won't work at all. It cost me about thirty bucks. the grease comes with it. VERY IMPORTANT. you will need to remove the distrbuter, If it is not back exactly how it was you are going to have big problems, It was not set back exact. and It took me a week to set it right.
.Squink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 20:06   #7 (permalink)

Welcome to the site .Squink.
Did you work out the problem City Slicker?
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel