Truck won't start... what on earth are these parts? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 23:11   #1 (permalink)

Truck won't start... what on earth are these parts?

Hi. I'm working on a 1986 F-150 that won't start. We know the starter is working, and that if you put fuel directly into the carburetor, the engine will catch. This leaves anything between the gas tank and the carburetor.

We've already replaced the fuel filter, so we know that's clean. The fuel line isn't leaking either. This leaves us to believe the problem is in the fuel pump. We're guessing this tall metal thing happens to be it, though it doesn't look like any pump we've seen before. It's located on the driver's side of the engine, bolted to a bracket onto the engine block. We can't find any electrical connections, so we're guessing it's mechanical. Looking mostly for confirmation on this.

The other unidentified part is a black box on the passenger side, up by the radiator. The top is divided into two parts, one marked with letters, radially (like a clock face) from A to (if I remember right) E. The other side has numbers. The side with letters has a kind of rubber plug on it that looks to be designed to let air into the box. The other side has a tube leading out, and splits in three directions, one of which goes into the carburetor, the other two we have no idea.

Attached are pictures of the supposed pump and the unknown box, as well as a picture of their surroundings.

Any help or information would be most helpful. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00232-20090903-1158.jpg (107.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00233-20090903-1158.jpg (95.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00234-20090903-1159.jpg (63.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00235-20090903-1159.jpg (157.8 KB, 13 views)
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 11:49   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Truck won't start... what on earth are these parts?

In the 1st & 2nd pic, that's the fuel pump in the center with the green hose clamp.

In the 3rd pic, that's the vapor (purge) canister.

In the 4th pic, that's the air (smog) pump with the green and black wire running over the top of. That's the air intake hose between the battery and smog pump.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 16:21   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
In the 1st & 2nd pic, that's the fuel pump in the center with the green hose clamp.
OK, that's what we thought. We wanted some confirmation on that before we started taking things apart and running around saying "do you have this?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
In the 3rd pic, that's the vapor (purge) canister.

In the 4th pic, that's the air (smog) pump with the green and black wire running over the top of. That's the air intake hose between the battery and smog pump.
Sweet.

Thanks for the help. We now have a decent idea where to go with this stuff.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:37   #4 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Remove the air cleaner & find the brass tube in the carb throat. It's cut off at an angle. Squirt carb cleaner directly into it until it starts to drip out inside the carb throat(it'll take a LOT). Then see if the engine starts. If so, the needle valve is probably stuck closed. Pull the fuel line off the fuel filter at the carb while the engine is running or cranking (VERY briefly - it'll dump gas) to see if the pump is working. If so, pull the filter & try to blow air thru it. If it flows, pull the carb apart & unstick the float/needle valve.

Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 17:48   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Remove the air cleaner & find the brass tube in the carb throat. It's cut off at an angle. Squirt carb cleaner directly into it until it starts to drip out inside the carb throat(it'll take a LOT). Then see if the engine starts. If so, the needle valve is probably stuck closed. Pull the fuel line off the fuel filter at the carb while the engine is running or cranking (VERY briefly - it'll dump gas) to see if the pump is working. If so, pull the filter & try to blow air thru it. If it flows, pull the carb apart & unstick the float/needle valve.
We just removed the fuel line going into the fuel pump (no fuel that we could detect in the line at that point), cranked the engine, and checked the pump for suction. We felt very little suction at all, even when we sucked fuel right up to the end of the hose and reconnected it to the pump. Everything else seems to be working in fine order, and it has a new fuel filter and air filter. We're feeling pretty confident that it's the pump, so we bought a new one. I'm probably going to install it either tomorrow or Saturday and that'll tell us for sure what it is.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24   #6 (permalink)

OK, I'll bite: what's the trick to getting the fuel pump out of the engine in the first place? Do I have to remove the whole bracket mounted around it, as well as the bar that reaches over to what I believe is the fuel pump?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02   #7 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

The pump isn't "in" the engine - it's external. Last few I changed were only held on by the 2 bolts. Depending on where the camshaft lobe is, the force of the pump's spring against the arm will break it loose from the timing cover as you back the 2nd bolt out.

Do you have the new one?
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:30   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The pump isn't "in" the engine - it's external.
Well, my problem was detaching the thing.
Quote:
Last few I changed were only held on by the 2 bolts. Depending on where the camshaft lobe is, the force of the pump's spring against the arm will break it loose from the timing cover as you back the 2nd bolt out.
Actually, mine was quite different. There was what determined to be the negative coil for the distributor cap mounted on a bracket on the pump. And that bracket was also connected to the engine at the beam where the fuel pump is stabilized. Apparently you only need to loosen that one and the bracket comes right off.
Quote:
Do you have the new one?
I have the new one, and I managed to figure it all out.

Now my problem is that the pump seems to work, and the engine for a little while was catching, but it wasn't staying alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel