Ford Forums banner

U.S.:Review of the 2004 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Stacy94PGT 
#1 ·
He Drove, She Drove

New F-150 is a 5-star truck all the way
By Paul & Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

The most important new vehicle of the 2004 model year is undoubtedly the redesigned Ford F-150, the quintessential American pickup truck that is so popular, Ford Motor Co. claims to sell one a minute in Texas alone.

The full-size F-series is not only the country's best-selling truck, it's America's best-selling vehicle, with more than 900,000 units delivered in 2002.

We sampled a top-of-the-line F-150 Lariat 4x4 Super Crew with an estimated sticker price of $38,065, although Ford tells us fully-equipped versions will list for up to $42,000. The base model starts at just over $21,000.

Can you call a $38,000 truck a bargain? Read on.

SHE: Well, I did just what you told me to do this morning. You said, "Put some miles on that truck and make sure you test the bed, too." So I drove 50 miles to my favorite chic country store and bought a darling celadon-and-pink wing back chair that was half off. The best part is that because I had the new F-150, I was able to take my prize possession home with me. Two of the women in the store helped me load it in the bed and we had a very easy time of it. The tailgate is not heavy at all and we used the flip-out bed extender to snugly fit against the chair so it wouldn't slide around. While we were doing that, a man burst out of the store with his arms raised in the air and shouted, "I love that truck!" Then he peeked into the cabin of the ritzy Lariat model and said it reminded him of a Land Rover, it was so gorgeous. So it was a very positive experience all the way around.

HE: Sounds like a load of manure to me -- which probably would have been a better way to test a truck.

SHE: OK, there is a bit of a downside to the chair story. When I got the truck home, you weren't around to help me unload, so I decided to park it in the garage so I wouldn't get tree sap or something worse on my chair. We have a fairly spacious two-car garage, and the F-150 fit -- but just barely. The antenna scraped along the top of the door and the nose of the truck was butted right up against our back door. If I wanted to drop the tailgate, the garage door would have to be open to do it. The F-150 is "garageable" -- that fake word made up by Ford's marketing people. But it's a tight squeeze.

HE: You may not know this, but the 4x4 Super Crew also weighs a ton -- actually close to three tons, to be more precise. Good thing Ford upgraded the 5.4-liter V-8, which now makes 300 horsepower and 365 pounds-feet of torque. Just don't expect to get sedan-like mileage. But in many other respects, the big Ford trucks are getting more car-like, especially the cabins. Ford offers a variety of trim levels on the 2004 F-series, starting with the base XL. By the time you move all the way up to the Lariat, you're looking at a pretty plush cockpit that could have been lifted from a passenger car. My biggest complaint is the overly lavish application of fake wood, which looks too, well, fake. But all the other details are really stunning. That cabin is amazingly quiet, too. The bottom line is that the new interiors really make the competition look dreary and old-fashioned.

SHE: I was surprised that you couldn't get a couple of things on the truck -- no side air bags or air curtains to protect occupants in case of a rollover accident. No tire-pressure monitoring system either, something you can get on a Ford Explorer. But there is one really cool new option -- snap-on modules that fit into a roof rail system inside the cabin. So the sunglasses holder can be moved to the rear and transform itself into a crayon-holder for the kids. Eventually you'll be able to order plug-in modules that do everything from storing small power tools to receiving satellite radio transmissions.

HE: I've driven all the competitors in recent weeks, including the new Nissan Titan and the upcoming Toyota Tundra Double Cab. They're pretty good trucks. The F-150 is better. No, let me correct that. The new F-150 is the best truck money can buy. Period.

Paul's rating:5
Likes: Best full-size pickup truck on the market. Finally, a car-like cockpit in a big truck. Ample room in rear seat. Ultra-quiet cabin. Great towing and payload capacity. Revised 5.4-liter V-8 delivers plenty of power. Modern, rugged, distinctive design.

Dislikes: Too much fake wood. Standard 4.6-liter V-8 is only middle-of-the-road. No five-speed automatic transmission. Extra length makes this baby a chore to park.

Anita's rating:5
Likes: Beautiful Lariat cabin included creamy leather seats, wood trim. Over-sized side mirrors add confidence in changing lanes. Tailgate not too heavy. Exterior looks rich, bears family resemblance to Expedition. Responsive steering. Comfortable ride. Gets my vote for truck of the year.

Dislikes: No side air bags or air curtains. No tire-pressure monitoring system. Barely fits in the garage. Power driver's seat has manual back adjustment. No improvement on gas mileage -- I got 15.4 mpg.

'04 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
Type: Front-engine, four-wheel drive, five-passenger full-size pickup
truck
PriceÂą : $35,570; as tested, $38,065
Engine: 5.4-liter V-8; 300 -hp; 365 lb-ft torque
EPA fuel economy: 14 mpg city/18 mpg highway
Key competitors: Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra, Toyota Tundra
12-month insurance cost² : $1,690
Where built: Norfolk, Va., and Kansas City
1 Includes $795 destination charge 2 Estimated by AAA Michigan. Rates may vary depending on coverage and driving record.

Anita and Paul Lienert are partners in Lienert & Lienert, a Detroit-based automotive information services company.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.