using water on 6.0 powerstroke no water in oil - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26   #1 (permalink)

using water on 6.0 powerstroke no water in oil

i have a 2004 ford 6.0 powerstroke blowing alot of white smoke. truck didnot get hot, but i do hear the fan run alot. any help the egr cooler is about 2 years old. turbo is about 1.5 years old.it has 119,000 miles
tocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: using water on 6.0 powerstroke no water in oil

Could do a block test to check head / gaskets .Either that , it could be unburnt fuel causing smoke .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51   #3 (permalink)

it is using a little water like i put in 2 gallon today
tocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:20   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

That's a lot of water , if you cant see any sign of leaks , a pressure test on cooling system will show up any external leaks and the block test will confirm one way or the other whether head / gaskets gone .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 20:50   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocamp View Post
it is using a little water like i put in 2 gallon today
Here are the best answers compiled from our contributors

Answer 1

It often means that you are burning antifreeze. You asked if it needs antifreeze, have you noticed any leaking out of the reservoir tank while you are running it? Sometimes when the head gasket goes it will produce a passage for the antifreeze to pass from the capillaries into the combustion chamber. It is easy to check if you have an air compressor. Remove one of the rear sparkplugs and the radiator cap. Fill the radiator and then push some air into the sparkplug hole (get a good seal in case a valve is open). Repeat with all the cylinders and watch for air bubbles coming up into the radiator. If bubbles come up or fluid is pumped out, the head gasket is blown and must be replaced. It is more likely to happen at the back of the engine because it is farthest away from the fan and therefore gets less cooling.
Also check your oil for discoloration. If it is a brownish color it could mean your oil and antifreeze are mixing and has the potential to damage your bearings.
Answer 2

If the exhaust billows white smoke for a few seconds when first starting the engine after it has been sitting for a while, such as overnight, and then runs normally, it could mean that the rubber valve stem seals have perished - especially if the vehicle is a few years old and has done over 60/70,000 miles.
Another clue is: does the exhaust smoke smell like fresh, rather than burnt oil.
Answer 3

After going nuts trying to figure out sporadic tailpipe smoke on my Nissan Maxima, with no other negative engine symptoms, I eventually stumbled upon a malfunctioning PCV valve. The ball-check wasn't fully seating, allowing small amounts of oil to sneak past and into the combustion chamber. A cheap and easy fix.
Answer 3

White smoke or semi white can be produced in several ways. One way is oil this is normally a whitish blue to blue smoke and has the apparent smell of oil being burned. Next could be antifreeze when it is being burned it has a sweet type of smell and tends to dissipate in the air rather quickly. Next is automatic transmission fluid which is normally found on automatic transmissions and its normally drawn into an engine thru a vacuum line via a defective transmission modulator valve or some other defective part. Transmission fluid is very apparent and billows out so bad that you can't see anything behind you. Last but not least another type of smoke that is not white but black is the presents of to much gas/fuel being burned in the engine. Hope This Helps, EzForJesus
PS the one good thing about transmission fluid being burned is it is an excellent way to clean the carbon out of an engine.
Answer 4

Black smoke is burning oil. Blue smoke is usually transmission fluid due to a leaking modulator valve in the older auto transmission. White smoke is due to water getting in to a cylinder from a bad gasket, cracked block or a cracked head.

Answer 5

cracked heads. Mine started misfiring, with new plugs. Smoke came out the exhaust. Result, low compression in the cracked head. When car was cold it ran fine. After it got hot, the crack in the head would open up, hence, sputtering. I've had to replace 3 heads. Everytime I've had to have this done, I had to buy a whole new head gasket.

Read more: Answers.com - What can cause white smoke from the exhaust
Old 04-21-2013, 21:00   #6 (permalink)

My 2005 f350 over heats sometimes when pulling my enclosed trailer
Custom Floors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:43   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Double check your EGR cooler. They are trouble prone and even a two year old "updated" one can soon fail and leak coolant into the EGR/intake. I replaced mine with an aftermarket cooler. Make sure that the sharp point of the turbo mount stand (pass side front) is not hitting, and has punctured, the EGR. Some do and require a little grinding. Also, make sure your degas bottle, hoses or pressure cap, are not leaking.

If not the EGR or degas, and it's probably not if you used 2 gal of coolant, do a compression check. Sad to say, but it sounds like a head gasket.

Bite the bullet and do it right. Remove the cab (try that with an Excursion!) pull and machine the heads, and use ARP studs.

Other than the turbo and FICM (there are bullet proof fixes for those problems too), you will now have a reliable and good performing truck for many miles.

You can thank International/Navistar for keeping us 6.0 owners busy. Ford has already sued and we are part of the class action suit. Have you been notified?
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel