V-6 possible mods? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 23:20   #1 (permalink)

V-6 possible mods?

I got a V6 98 F-150 and everything is stock on it right now. Lookin into a K&N Cold Air Intake or Blower and straight pipe. I don't care how bad it is on the engine, just want to get the most noise I can out of it. I take really good care of all my trucks that I got, so changing out spark plugs and cleaning everything out won't be a problem for me.
FordGuy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 09:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: V-6 possible mods?

You might be hearing a lot of noise in jail. In most places straight pipe are not legel.
Will also severly effect the back pressure and if it has an 02 senser in the system
it might not operate properly. If your going to use a " leaf blower " don't waste your
money. K&N systems are GARBAGE. your better off using a piece of drier vent. If you take really good care of your trucks you won't put straight pipes on it.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 18:34   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: V-6 possible mods?

Well, straight pipe is OK, but just run it after the cat converter and don't use a muffler. This will allow you to keep O2 sensors, and still pass emissions. It'll be louder, but you'll mostly notice it in the cab from resonance, as the purpose of the muffler is to eliminate extra noise.

Until my cat-back gets here, I'm running NO PIPE behind the cat on my Durango as it rusted off, and NO shop around town has a replacement, so at least I have a good excuse! I don't recommend it, as I hear creaks and moans from places that I never though possible from having no pipe. It's also dangerous too, as the fumes can get into the cab. My Magnaflow 15659 will be here early next week!!!!!

Intakes are overrated. If you want one, build it yourself. Measure the pipe specs and go to the Home Depot, or where ever, and buy pipe, clamps and such for around $20, then the most expensive part is the cone filter, which can be had for roughly $50. So, for $70 and a bit of work on your part you can have a system that would rival a K&N but costing 300% less. I bought a K&N for my 5.9L Dodge, and mileage did go up, but only if I drive at 55-60mph with the cruise control off. At 65+mph, mileage is the same as with the stock air box.

Some noises you do want to avoid, like running a lower than usual octane of fuel and hammering down on the throttle can lead to engine knock. It's also embarrassing.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel