Very low oil pressure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2003, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
mmsergent

Question Very low oil pressure

Just recently the oil pressure on my 81' F-150 300 I-6 is reading very low especialy when warmed up. When first started it is ok.
Could the oil pump be going bad ~192K miles on the engine. And if so how hard is it to install a new oil pump. Has anyone had one replaced and what is the average cost to replace it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 07:06   #2 (permalink)

The bearing's are getting worn due to age, but these are very stout engine's and survive a lot of abuse. Oil pump replacement is a straight forward job in most case's. Unbolt engine mount's, raise and support engine,drain oil, remove oil pan, remove oil pump, install new pump, install oil pan w/ new gasket, lower engine, tighten engine mount's, pour in oil, pull coil wire, crankover engine to prime the system,reinstall coil wire,start engine and check for leak's
http://fordexp.freehomepage.com/photo3.html
big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 14:11   #3 (permalink)
eddieackerman

If you have kept oil changed in that 300-I6 then all you have to do is change out the oil sending unit which is a diaphram looking gismo down and toward the back from the oil dipstick and if you want to really be amazed change the oil and use a ford F-1A oil filter and that alone will make a big difference. Let me know if that helped any. last resort is to replace crank bearings. The inline 6 usually outlast the vehicle is taken care of.
Old 09-14-2003, 18:25   #4 (permalink)

Re: Very low oil pressure

Is this the stock guage your reading from? Big 1, arn't the guages just a switch and when it reads over 7psi (something like that) it moves. They dont actually show the pressure.
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 21:42   #5 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

i am wondering when you last had the oil changed in this and was it 10w-30 oil that was put into it.
did you just notice this happening suddenly or has it been getting worse over time.
there are several things that effect your oil pressure !
Old 09-15-2003, 05:56   #6 (permalink)

In the 81 model's the gauge did give an actual pressure reading, but they were very inaccurate.
You could try going to a heavier oil, say 20w50, that may help.
Check your gauge against a mechanical gauge.
http://fordexp.freehomepage.com/photo3.html
big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 18:59   #7 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

i tried running 10w-30 rotella T in my truck once and it was exactly as mmsergent decribed.
it was fine in the morning when i started it but 10 min later i had almost no pressure so it only lasted 3 days till i replaced it with 15w-45 rotella and the problem was solved.
Old 09-15-2003, 22:49   #8 (permalink)
jakeq19

I had the exact same problem in my '87. I also have the straight 6 and thought that my oil pump was bad. I then thought about it a little more and it was the oil presure sensor right by the dip-stick with the one wire on it. It wouldn't hurt to try replacing it first. They are only about $15 and you don't have to tear anything apart. It fixed my problem. Try it and let me know.
Old 09-21-2003, 21:05   #9 (permalink)
I hate ricers

try putting some Lucas in the crank case.

never2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 18:41   #10 (permalink)
rdotson

I have an '87 F150 4x4, 4.9 I6 with 225,000 miles. at about 200k miles, I started seeing something similar. Mostly when I was running on the highway and would pull up to a stop light, I'd lose almost all oil pressure for a second or so. I thought it was bearing, oil pump or something else, and decided to park the truck, since it wasn't my primary vehicle. After my other vehicle was totaled by drunk driver, I decided to work on the truck. I pulled the oil pan off and the screen on the pickup tube to the oil pump was completely stopped up. I cleaned the screen, took the oil pump out, it looked fine, so I put it back together and had normal oil pressure again. Only bad thing was, now I have a small leak in the oil pan, which I've tried to fix twice. It's hard to get the oil pan back in and keep the gasket straight.

But I bought a 2004 F150, so I'm reluctantly selling the '87. It has been a great truck and still runs very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel