what exhaust is loud on a 79 f350 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 20:17   #1 (permalink)
14 yr old ranch kid

confused what exhaust is loud on a 79 f350

my vehicle is a 79 f350 and i dont know what exhaust to use on it. Im overhauling the engine(400ci) with my friend and just bought a carb and intake manifold for it. im probably going to get hooker full length competition headers for it. if i get the hooker exhaust kit that fits those headers, can i put glass packs on it or do i have to use the suggested muffler? if you have another idea for an exhaust system, please suggest!
79-f350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 10:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: what exhaust is loud on a 79 f350

personally i would put glass packs on it, you'll just need to put a pice of pipe between the headers and glass pack
gmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 18:31   #3 (permalink)
14 yr old ranch kid

where would i get a piece of pipe? could i use a hooker exhaust system kit that comes without the mufflers and use glass packs on it?
Old 04-17-2008, 19:33   #4 (permalink)

well you'll probanly need to get what ever size pipe the mufflers are and the end to connect to the header depends on if there are flanged or not your local muffler shop can flange the pipes for you if thats required if not just clamp or weld them on
gmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
14 yr old ranch kid

Im sorry im so ignorant about exhaust!!!( im only 14 years old) the header description says it has a three bolt flange on em. the system that fits them says the Intermediate Pipe Diameter is 2.250 in. and the tailpipe Diameter is 2.250 in. i found some headman glass packs with, 2 1/ 4 in. Inlet/ 2 1/ 4 in. Outlet. would that work with the hooker kit? ( i dont have a good enough welder( came over on the mayflower) to make my own exhaust system or the knowhow and the exhaust kit is only $159 + about 20 for shipping at summit racing).i dont know how much it would cost to have a shop do it.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:53   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

You can use glasspacks but keep in mind, the shorter the glasspack the louder it will be. I would use 18 inch glasspacks. The 24 inch and larger are just too quiet and the 12 inch are too loud and high pitched. If it were me I would buy the headers and the reducer's. bolt them on to the collectors (the ring at the bottom of the header that bolt together), install them and have a muffler shop custom build from the reducers back. Glasspacks are pretty much the same and I would imagine you can same some $$ buy getting them from your local muffler shop.

Have you thought about looking into flowmaster mufflers? They would sound great with some turn downs right before the rearend. With 3 inch pipe those would rumble. Go to youtube and view some vid's using Flowmaster Exhaust as keywords.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 19:10   #7 (permalink)
14 yr old ranch kid

i cant find flowmaster for my truck enywhere on the web. how much does a muffler shop charge to put in a system? and also i found some 18 inch glass packs at summit racing .com. they are headmans and they cost $33. is that a good price?
Old 04-18-2008, 19:35   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

You just pick the flowmaster muffler you want. For example Series 40, 2.50" in/out. You muffler shop will add the pipe needed. So if you want to go flowmaster then you just need to pick the series you and the correct inlet/outlet size to match the pipe size you want to run. If it were me I get these but to each his own. Flowmaster 42543 - Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers - summitracing.com

There is a guy here local that runs a muffler shop and he advertises dual exhaust with glass packs for $120. You need to take into consideration the shipping charges that summit will charge. I would imagine that your local shop will be able to beat summits price.

edit* Since you are starting off fresh from the headers there is no need to try and find a kit, just the mufflers and header reducers are pretty much all you'll need. The muffler shop will build you a custom system so you can't go by the application list for exhaust components.
Old 04-18-2008, 20:31   #9 (permalink)
14 yr old ranch kid

what is the difference in performance with the pipe size? if i use 18 inch glass packs will it be to loud in the cab to hear myself think?! ill call a muffler shop tomorrow and get a quote.
Old 04-18-2008, 21:10   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

If you have a really high performance engine you would need bigger exhaust pipe size. Now if you put lets say a 3" dual pipe's on a stock motor it would end up hurting the performance. If you just have the intake upgrade and headers then 2.50" will be fine.

18" glass packs are not too bad. If you run them straight out the back it will seem pretty quiet inside the cab. Running them out to the side behind the rear wheels will seem a little louder. If you put turn downs at the end of the glass pack and dump them under the truck is pretty loud and sounds really bad inside the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel