What Is Wrong With My Truck? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 13:19   #1 (permalink)

What Is Wrong With My Truck?

I sent a post about a week ago about my 1993 F150 having problems starting. At first I thought it was my fuel pump but then I had someone look at it and they found that a spark plug wire was bad, the one that goes to the coil. Now I have replaced the plug wires and it ran find the first day. Today when I went to leave for work it started I drove for 10 minutes and then it wouldn't start again for 3 hours! I was thinking ignition coil but a neighbor checked and said the spark is fine. What can be wrong? I have no more ideas and my job depends on my truck being fixed pronto!! Please Help!!!
lmt513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
TheCATman

Re: What Is Wrong With My Truck?

does it have EFI? or a fuel injected carb?
if you have spark and air then it's gotta be a fuel problem

things to consider and check:

fuel filter clogged?
fuel at the carb?
trash in gas tank stopping up the sock on the pickup?
water in gas?
if electric fuel pump is it working?
check fuse panel for blown fuses? <---this may not apply since it will restart later on.....

if equipt with a fuel pump relay is that working?

these are prolly some of the most obvious things to check if you've got spark AT the plugs.

I'd check the air filter too if you havn't.......

If you have EFI then theres going to be a engine light or something related to that that you havn't disclosed to us yet. ie:a sensor problem? i'm just guessing now.... :)

of course there could be other things too but we won't be confusing you more than necessary at the moment

Laterz,
Jplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 18:34   #3 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: What Is Wrong With My Truck?

I am also having the same problems on my 1993 F-150 5.0L EFI, only 70K original miles on the truck. just recently replaced a bad alternator, but the problems still seem to be there. i'll turn the key and nothing will happen, open the doors with the key in the ignition, and the chime will be faint. voltage on the dash was reading almost zero. got a jump from a friend today and the voltage instantly went up to 16-17 volts, took it for a drive to see if that'd go down, but it remained the same. i suspect the battery having a bad/weak cell and the alternator trying to force a charge accross it (possible damage done from the bad alternator) i noticed duiring the little test drive, the voltage guage would wiggle while driving, also dash lights would dim severely when the windows were going down, and slow to return to full brightness when i let off the power windows
HockeyFanJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 21:47   #4 (permalink)

LMT- listen to Jplayer- he has great ideas.

Hockey- get battery and alternator tested ASAP. If the battery went dead, the alternator won't last long after that. If the alternator went dead, the battery won't last long after that. Sounds like your alternator is fried to me. Get them tested ASAP. Be careful when dealing with alternator and battery issues- they cause other problems, too.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:31   #5 (permalink)

Check or replace the control module in the distribtor.
dewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 15:42   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewone
Check or replace the control module in the distribtor.

ill go with this suggestion
happened to me once
kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:31   #7 (permalink)

hockeyfanjeff

i would check the obvious ,,,dirty ,worn,broken battery cables ,,but mostly first thing id check would be loose,broken starter wires,sometimes corrioded starter wires will just give enough contact to work somethings but under load they dont work so good,,,so id check my starter wires first .
kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel