wobble/shimmy.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:08   #1 (permalink)

wobble/shimmy..

hello to everyone , i found this forum last night , and i have a question about my truck..i have a 95 f 150 w/ 4.9 l I6.. it has developed a wobble/shimmy , i thought it was tires so all new tires , because the left rear tire seams to be wearing different than the rest.. that didnt work so switched rims that didnt work , you can feel it wobble/shimmy at 40mph and then again at 65-up on the hwy it will wobble and then it will stop for a few seconds and then start again and it just keeps repeating , i just took a trip to florida and it drove me crazy.. truck has 192,xxx miles , the drive shaft doesnt have any slop or play all the bushings appear to be fine , i thought it might be the left rear axle because i have checked everything else , anyone have any advice that might help me ? , thanks

jimmy
jcass29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 09:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: wobble/shimmy..

Here's a possibility however accuracy is limited by vagueness in description forces assumptions you'll have to see if applicable. You should be able to tell if the condition is front or rear unless your getting the result of dual problems. the rear wheel, lacking evidence of impact and knowledge of wear patern, could be a few things. overall but accelerated wear implies the brake on that wheel is is not equally adjusted to it's counterpart, or it's release is impaired. Sporadic wear pattern implies damaged or worn bearings. then add the sooner or later worn front and tie rod bushing's infamous shimmy that occurs at the speeds of it's choosing.
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 18:41   #3 (permalink)

the wearing on the rear tire is uneven , it does feel like its coming from the rear , i guess i need to check the bearing in left rear axle..the brake is not draging , in fact the rear pads still look new , it is the second set , but the first set really didnt need to be replaced..ive been threw 4 sets of front pads including the current set. ball joints have been replaced , tie rod bushings are fine , control arm was just replaced .i was hoping someone on here had the same problem , and could give me some advice about it . it seems like the wobble/shimmy comes every so many revolutions..
Old 12-02-2008, 22:19   #4 (permalink)

You've got inner & outer sets both w/sections of bearings damaged that behave halfway normal when they offset each other. when they don't, wobble. Are the studs all completely seated? After you resolve the wheel/hub problem adjust the rear brakes so they'll take some of the load off to fronts.
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 17:06   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymeski56 View Post
You've got inner & outer sets both w/sections of bearings damaged that behave halfway normal when they offset each other. when they don't, wobble. Are the studs all completely seated? After you resolve the wheel/hub problem adjust the rear brakes so they'll take some of the load off to fronts.
thank you for your advice , i hope thats the problem , last time i had the wheel off the studs were all seated normal..
Old 02-28-2009, 18:38   #6 (permalink)

i checked my rear axles and they dont have any slop or play in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel