Lightning engine swap? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford SVT Lightning Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford SVT Lightning Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford SVT Lightning.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2003, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Malen228

Lightning engine swap?

I have a '94 LX 4.6 and I know that it's possible to fit a standard 5.4L from say, an F-150 or an Explorer with just a little bit of work... But I'm interested in more power than that. Which brings me to my question: I know it's possible (anything is with enough money!), but is it any more difficult to put the Lightning's 5.4 supercharged engine in there, and if it is, is it still feasible for a home garage project?

I have some know-how, and know a few people with plenty experience in this sort of thing, so that's no problem. The only thing I'm wondering is if any sort of expensive fabrication or modifications are necessary. I'm ready and willing...I just wish my wallet was too...

Also, if anyone has any better ideas, I'll be glad to have em. I'm not looking to build a fast car, just a powerful one. I'm a fan of old hot rods, and i'm trying to build a "new-age" one I guess... Well, thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 22:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: Lightning engine swap?

Wow !! That's a major project. It is a very cool concept, but it would be very difficult to pull that off without having the car at a pro shop for at least some of the work.
Assuming that you want to really drive it on the street and not just have a garage queen, then getting the engine to physically bolt up is just the beginning of a long list of issues to work out. Actually, having the cash and time would be the first problem, I guess. You'll certainly need lots of both.
The tranny that Ford uses behind the Lightning's 5.4 will be required most likely, anything less isn't going to live long, and it probably isn't going to fit without some fabrication work to the tunnel and mounts. Then of course a custom driveshaft is next, and that T-Bird rear axle isn't going survive very long either. The stock T-Bird radiator definitely isn't going to cool that 5.4 properly and you'll need to find room for the Intercooler that needs to be used with that engine. Is the stock fuel pump, fuel pick-up and fuel lines adequate to supply the extra fuel that it needs ? Probably not. The Lightning engine/tranny/intercooler combo will add quite a bit of weight so you'll need to upgrade the springs, and the stock brakes may need an upgrade, too. What about the engine compartment's sides and firewall, and the cowl and hood, or the wiper motor and the brake master and booster ? Most, if not all of those items will interfere with the engine fitment. How will you get the stock T-Bird power steering pump and A/C compressor to bolt up, or get the Lightning pump and compressor to fit ? You will also need to get the whole wiring harness and computer, and all the sensors from the truck that the engine will come from. The Lightning catalytic converters, or something like them may need to go with the engine aa well as the O2 sensors. Will the Lightning exhaust manifolds fit ? You'll want larger diameter exhaust all the way back, too.
Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching, Ka-Ching.
I have a good friend that has a Lightning and this last summer we drove it to two circle track races. From St.Louis to central Indiana and then a a month later to Louisville. That engine makes some serious torque and would be a serious headache for even a proffesional conversion/fabrication shop to get worked out. Maybe a 32valve 4.6 from a Lincoln Mark VIII or a hot 4.6 from a Mustang would be a better match.

Keith
kbx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 16:33   #3 (permalink)
Malen228

Yeah, the DOHC is definitely looking like a better choice. And cheaper, too. Then again, i could just get some P/I heads, new MAF and throttle body and a chip and be just as happy. So I don't think I'll break new ground this time and just take the easy way out. Thanks for your reply though.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:21   #4 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

how about a paxton type blower? I think theyre making kits to put them on just about anything now.
Dumb question on lightning engine-I'm not up on the newer fords, but I had thought all "modular" v-8's used same deck height/bore spacing etc...if so isnt it externally about the same size except for the DOHC head height/width(but this would be similar on 4.6 DOHC too?). If the lightning is a v-10, then sorry for asking, like I said, I'm not up on any of the newer stuff...
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford SVT Lightning Forum