U.S.A.:Ford SVT Lightning Claims “World’s Fastest Truck” - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford SVT Lightning Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford SVT Lightning Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford SVT Lightning.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2003, 21:22   #1 (permalink)

U.S.A.:Ford SVT Lightning Claims “World’s Fastest Truck”

The Car Connection

Ford says its SVT F-150 Lightning has been certified as the “World’s Fastest Production Pickup Truck” by Guinness World Records, Ltd., after reaching 147 miles per hour at Ford’s test track. In a test run at the Michigan Proving Grounds, a stock 2003 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning ran through timing lights set seven-tenths of a mile apart; the elapsed times, converted into miles-per-hour readings, clocked the SVT Lightning at an average of 147.714 mph, making it for now, the world record holder.

The 380-horsepower Lightning gets serious competition for the title later this year when Dodge releases its 500-hp SRT-10 Ram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 03_ford_f150_svt_lightning_386.jpeg (19.6 KB, 27 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 22:56   #2 (permalink)

I've heard rumors of the '04 Lightning being closer to 500 hp. I can't see Ford letting Dodge be on top. My avatar is the '04 Lightning.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a supercharged 6.8L V-10 in the Lightning. Is that their trump card?
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:11   #3 (permalink)

Re: U.S.A.:Ford SVT Lightning Claims “World’s Fastest Truck”

I'm guessing Ford will use the 5.4L supercharged " same one used in the GT 40" engine in the next Lightning

My next Ford.....
Old 08-14-2003, 06:59   #4 (permalink)

The Auto Channel

Ford SVT F-150 Lightning Earns the Title 'World's Fastest Production Pickup' According to Guinness World Records(TM)

* Guinness World Records, Ltd. certifies the 2003 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning as 'World's Fastest Production Pickup Truck.' * 'Off the showroom floor' Ford SVT F-150 Lightning reached over 147 mph.

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 13 -- Today, the Ford SVT F- 150 Lightning was certified as the "World's Fastest Production Pickup Truck" by Guinness World Records, Ltd. after reaching 147 miles per hour at Ford's test track. Since the truck's introduction in 1999, the supercharged SVT Lightning has been unofficially called the world's fastest pickup by numerous media outlets. Now it's a matter of official record.

"We're proud to have certification from Guinness World Records," says Tom Scarpello, Ford SVT marketing and sales manager. "It is a well-deserved record for the engineering team, and overdue confirmation to all the SVT F-150 Lightning owners out there who have known for years that they drive the fastest truck on the planet!"

The record run was conducted on the Michigan Proving Grounds of Ford Motor Company. The five-mile-long, high-speed oval provided a safe, controlled environment to test the limits of the truck's performance.

"This may seem like fun and games, but high-speed stability is critical for a performance vehicle, even a pickup truck," says Tom Chapman, Ford SVT chassis systems supervisor and driver for the record-setting run. "The SVT F- 150 Lightning is just as stable and planted at 147 miles per hour as it is at 55 mph; only the scenery's going by faster. That stability is a testament to the solid foundation of the Ford F-150, and the performance engineering found in Ford SVT products."

For the record, Guinness requires the truck to be production level, meaning it is identical to what a customer can find at his local Ford SVT dealer. Speeds must be measured over a kilometer, and the record speed is derived from an average of speeds in both directions.

To meet the vehicle requirements, Ford SVT used a stock 2003 Ford SVT F- 150 Lightning. Exterior modifications were limited to folding in the side mirrors, and removing the radio antenna. To meet timing requirements, Ford SVT conducted the test on Ford's Michigan Proving Ground high-speed oval. Timing lights were set up seven-tenths of a mile apart (as certified by an independent surveyor). A Hot Lap In-Car Timer, from Longacre Racing Products, was used to measure elapsed time through the measured 0.7 mile. Elapsed time was then converted to miles per hour.

Clockwise, the fastest elapsed time was 17.03 seconds, or 147.974 mph. Counter-clockwise, the fastest elapsed time was 17.09 seconds, or 147.454 mph.

The average of those two runs is 147.714 mph.

This result is more than adequate to set the Guinness World Record(TM) for the "Fastest Production Pickup."

The supercharged SVT F-150 Lightning was introduced in 1999, with 360 horsepower and 440 pound-feet of torque. In their January 1999 issue, Car and Driver magazine reported, "Ford SVT builds the world's fastest pickup."

Since then, engine modifications have improved performance, bringing output up to 380 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque. In their most recent editorial evaluation, the July 2003 issue of Motor Trend reported a terminal speed of 146 mph in a 2003 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning.

For Tom Scarpello, the Guinness World Record(TM) solidifies the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning as the one, the only, and the best performance pickup truck in the world.

"Capable of acceleration from 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds, and reaching 147 mph, the SVT Lightning is the dominant sport pickup in the world," says Scarpello. "No pickup truck on the market today can come close to matching those numbers. And, the SVT Lightning does all this and still can tow a 5,000 pound trailer and carry 1,300 pounds of payload. But best of all, this is no concept vehicle -- it's available right now from your local Ford SVT dealer."

Ford SVT history

The Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT) was established in 1991 to "polish the Ford oval," by creating low-volume, factory-produced vehicles designed for those whose idea of driving is a high-powered, passionate experience -- not just a means of getting from point A to point B.

In a move to support this spirited enthusiasm, Ford Motor Company carefully integrated the wide array of talent in the company into a small, cross-functional group of engineers, product planners and marketing people, housed together under one roof with a common mission -- to create vehicles specifically designed to meet the unique needs and desires of the knowledgeable driving enthusiast.

Each SVT vehicle produced since the 1993 model year has been designed and developed with the four SVT Hallmarks in mind: Performance, Substance, Exclusivity and Value. These hallmarks have driven the SVT Mustang Cobra and Cobra R, the SVT F-150 Lightning, the SVT Contour and the SVT Focus.

(Photo)1999 Ford SVT F-150 Lightening
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 166867.1-lg.jpeg (15.6 KB, 25 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 08-14-2003, 10:18   #5 (permalink)

Re: Re: U.S.A.:Ford SVT Lightning Claims “World’s Fastest Truck”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy94PGT
I'm guessing Ford will use the 5.4L supercharged " same one used in the GT 40" engine in the next Lightning
Ahhhhh, GT-40. I have some pics of the production engine that will be used in the GT-40......

*drooolllll*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fordgtengine.jpg (45.5 KB, 24 views)
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:58   #6 (permalink)

This is nice and all, but what Guinness writes means nothing to me. It is how the Lightning performs on the track and the road that makes it champ or chump. And it sounds as if SVT/Ford intends to keep it champ.
Paul Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 17:07   #7 (permalink)

Damn Paul, tell us how you really feel. :)

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford SVT Lightning Forum