4.6 4v Ford Engine miss - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Lincoln
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 4.6 4v Ford Engine miss

Since this seems to be a pretty widespread problem with this Ford Engine..can anyone help me figure out how to eliminate the intermittent engine miss in my Lincoln? It is driving me crazy.
I have;
Changed plugs 2 times, once at the Lincoln dealership.
All new coil over coils
Full diagnostics run by the dealership. All devices report back OK. No codes generated. They can't seem to fix it.
New Oxygen sensors
Injectors cleaned
Changed the fuel filter.

Could there be a issues with the Ignition control module or the Electronic control module?...Has anyone experienced a problem appearing in the engine control wiring harness?

Help please!!
hrdtduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 17:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4.6 4v Ford Engine miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdtduck View Post
Since this seems to be a pretty widespread problem with this Ford Engine..can anyone help me figure out how to eliminate the intermittent engine miss in my Lincoln? It is driving me crazy.
I have;...All new coil over coils...
Help please!!
Did you replace all of the ignition coils?

I had this same problem with my previously owned 99 CV. The missing would occur at light throttle under a load, such as climbing a slight hill. Press the throttle further and the miss would disappear. The problem was "weak" coils that were not bad enough to set a code, but also not strong enough to fire a relatively lean mixture under a load. One coil did set a code and was replaced by a repair shop. The miss reoccurred. I then replaced the rest of the coils myself and the problem never reoccured. The car also ran a lot better and the fuel economy improved.

Also, did they or you look at the boot and wire that connects the coil to the plug to see if there is any arcing? I noticed this happening on my previously owned 99 CV also. The solution for me was to thoroughly coat the inside and outside of the boot with silicone dielectric connector grease.

One last thing, I also found that single platinum plugs ran better than the double platinum plugs. Double platinum plugs wear longer, but have higher resistance and therefore require more energy to fire.

Good luck.
Den49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Lincoln