Please help RE coolant / heater hoses 1986 Town car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Lincoln
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 15:40   #1 (permalink)

Question Please help RE coolant / heater hoses 1986 Town car

Hi all

Would really really appreciate some advice. I have a 1986 Lincoln town car and after the lower rad hose blew i thought i should replace all other hoses. Now the tricky part.. I ordered 2x heater core hoses, upper+lower rad hoses and also two waterpump bypass hoses...

Right so my question is.. theres a whole heap of other coolant hoses on the passenger side of the engine below the spark plug level. Some of them are very short pieces of hose and theres one other curly shaped one that goes down to something .. On one of the heater core hoses i discovered its actually in two parts with an electrical gadget of some type in the middle of the hose and I only have one part of this hose.

Please can someone help with a diagram and more importantly tell me what hoses to order to cover the other part of the heater core hose and the rest of the little ones and the curly one (sorry for not having a better discription). I ordered the hoses I have from Rock Auto but they are not able to advise me any further.

Please help!
mons2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 16:02   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Please help RE coolant / heater hoses 1986 Town car

Hi. Welcome to the forums. The other hoses you see should be A/C refrigerant lines. The hose that is in two parts, you can go to the auto parts store and buy a foot or so of hose and cut how much you will need for that splice. Make sure you get the right size hose as they should be two different sizes. I'll post a diagram below that should be of help.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:46   #3 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: Please help RE coolant / heater hoses 1986 Town car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Hi. Welcome to the forums. The other hoses you see should be A/C refrigerant lines. The hose that is in two parts, you can go to the auto parts store and buy a foot or so of hose and cut how much you will need for that splice. Make sure you get the right size hose as they should be two different sizes. I'll post a diagram below that should be of help.

Hi Jwko. Thank you for your reply. However while similar generally. That diagram is not like my 302's hose layout. The holes I can see do not look like aircon hoses as they look identical to heatcore hoses but in short lengths. Some are only a few inches, which seems like a strange design to me.. The longer curly one goes UNDER the air compressor.. Is it possible these are hoses to drain moisture from the aircon system and dont carry coolant at all? Its hard without being able to show a photo. I will take one tonight. As for the extra part of the heater core hose.. that part is shaped so i couldnt use a straight length and the space at teh back of the engine is extremely narrow, not sure if a flexi hose of some kind would fit..
I will take a photo tonight and try to arrow in the parts that Im worried about.

Last edited by mons2b; 01-12-2012 at 16:48. Reason: typos
Old 01-12-2012, 18:15   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

The only other thing I can think of is the hoses that run to the air/smog pump. It's pulley driven and part of the emission system, and I believe located on the passenger side of the engine. It will have hoses similar to the heater hoses. Bert should be online in a little bit and can probably offer more help on this.
Old 01-12-2012, 18:57   #5 (permalink)

hmmm prehaps they are air hoses? i thought air hoses in a car were narrow flimsy things? or is that only the vac hoses that are spidery? they are the same thickness as coolant hoses though? That would explain why they go to some strange device that looks vaguely similar to the waterpump. Smog pump has thick coolant like hoses?
Old 01-12-2012, 19:11   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes they do. I betcha that's what you are seeing. If I could find a diagram I would post it. I'll look some more.
Old 01-12-2012, 19:21   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Yes they do. I betcha that's what you are seeing. If I could find a diagram I would post it. I'll look some more.
I guess if they just carry air they are under much less load than if they had to run hot coolant and I can worry less about replacing them. If you could point me in the right direction for a part number for the second part of the heater core hose that has a sensor of some kind in the middle that would be fantastic. I have the part that goes to the firewall core connection but need the part that goes from the sensor to the back of the engine.

Im in New Zealand so its pretty hard to find people who know about these cars here. theres prob less of this model here than fingers on one of my hands.
Old 01-12-2012, 19:46   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I don't see any heater hose that runs to the back of the engine. The photo below is from a 86 Town Car, and the red hose running to the pipe at the back of the engine is part of the smog pump (emission) system.

The part that the hose to the rear of the engine is connected to is a air check valve.

Notice the image below, you have the inlet heater hose coming out of the front of the intake running to the blower thermal lockout switch. From there is a small piece of heater hose that continues on to the heater core. Then the other heater hose runs out of the heater core on to the water pump. Other than that, all that's left is a bypass hose at the water pump and your two radiator hoses. That's all the hoses that carry coolant unless someone has changed something. Just go to the auto parts store and buy a small piece of heater hose to connect the blower thermal lockout switch (sensor you are talking about) to the heater core.

Old 01-12-2012, 20:28   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those pictures that jwko posted should show the hoses that are for the heater. The short one from what they call the blower thermal lockout switch to the heater core is another piece of heater hose. The upper, lower, bypass elbow and the 3 pieces of heater hose is all that runs coolant through them. jwko's pics show all you need to know.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47   #10 (permalink)

Read Re: Please help RE coolant / heater hoses 1986 Town car

Thanks to both of you. Below is some pictures i have taken including one showing a mystery hose i didnt see until i put my camera down behind the engine to take a picture.

As for the two part heater hose.. both parts are shaped i cant see how a straight length would work? given that i dont want to pay shipping from the United States just to get that hose i may leave that part in place or try to find a local hose that i can make fit..

Can the air hoses be found if i want to replace them one day? I cant see them on Rock Auto..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air hose1.jpg (108.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg hose 2.jpg (97.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Hose3.jpg (50.4 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Lincoln