Ford Forums banner

Clutch Problem?!?!

3K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Big Block Ford 
G
#1 ·
I just replaced my clutch today. I dropped the tranny pulled out the old ratted clutch and put the whole thing back together again. I was so excited to get it done took 16 hours so I was tired. Now I got in the car and started it up, then realized the clutch petal feels like it isn't doing anything. Sure enough it wasn't I couldn't even get into gear. So then I remembered all the stuff that leaked out while I was putting this thing together so I filled up the break fluid (that is where I am sure the clutch fluid resevoir was). So finally the nothing, the clutch pushes down easy as air, no pressure back at me. Do I have to take the tranny back out tomorrow? did I mess something up? I can't think of what I forget, is there a clutch cable or something that I forgot? I can't imagine being this stupid so if someone knows what my problem is I would appreciate a little help. Thanks.

#2 ·
If it has a clutch fluid resevoir as you say then not only will you have to fill the rsesvoir but you will need to bleed out the air.
Down on the bottom at the bell housing there should be the slave cylinder. You probably removed it and where the fluid came from.On the slave cylinder there should be a small nipple.
Make sure the resevoir is full then have someone push the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it down ,then unscrew the nipple slightly to bleed out the air. Be sure the person continues holding the pedal down until you screw the nipple up and then repeat the procedure a couple of times.
Be sure the res stays full or you will let air back in and dont let the pedal up until the nipple is closed or you will suck air back in at the nipple.
Hope that works or it might be more serious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.