Ford Forums banner

Noob with a few questions!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FordMan59 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all! I have an interesting problem here with a 99 zx2 5spd. I have been looking all over for a answer, or even a clue and havn't found much. Here it goes...
When I bought the car the clutch pedal was out of adjustment and soft. I replaced the master cylinder, and adjusted the pedal. So far this has helped alot but alas there is always more to the story. The clutch pedal feels great except during modest G right turns. It doesn't seem to build much pressure and it grabs real low, but it is usually engough to get in and out of gear. On the other hand left turns are fine, sometimes even creating a harder pedal feel. There are days also where the pedal is consistent and easy to locate grab point, other days where it is kind all over the map. The clutch itself grips fine, there is zero slipping. The next thing that happened was while making a right turn the car died. Long story short the crank position sensor and taken a hit by something, it looked like it had rubbed against the flywheel. Replaced it and "shimmed it just a little with a washer and it works fine now. Now I was told that the previous issues could be because of crankwalk, so I took it to a shop to have that looked at and they said it was normal, and I shouldn't worry about it. They also pulled the crank sender I had put in earlier and said it looked fine, no new rubbing, granted it could be because I shimmed it... Moving on, now with right turns the clutch is still an issue, and it has started hesitating or surging on right turns. It will never do it with a left hand turn. But if I take the car to a parking lot I can get it to bucking with relative ease, it will fight hard, and can be turned out of it, or killed, meanwhile the more you push it the worse the clutch pedal gets. Car always starts right back up, sometimes it sounds though like the clutch isn't completely disengaged, i.e. the car doesn't try to move with the starter but there is a bit of rubbing sound from the engine bay. Clutch pedal pumps back up fine, with a stroke or two, and you can drive away, the car is not registering any codes. The only other thing its doing that is wierd is it doesn't engine brake smoothly, it kind of jolts, or surges while decelerating. Never any issues getting moving though. Mileage is a little low but decent at 26 mpg shorter trip 60/40 hwy city split. I know its a lot but any help at this point would be great. It takes a little more planning to get through the city with minimal right hand turning!

Forgot to mention I have looked at the fuel pressure sensor wiring for rubbing, and that looks ok, also motor mounts are tight, no real rocking or anything... Car has 130k.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.