Ford Forums banner

Spluttering MK1 2ltr

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Nicksta 
#1 ·
I finally took my mk1 2ltr to the drags and I had a few problems with it cutting out. After getting wheel spin in all gears the car got to about half track and spluttered and almost died. After a few seconds it picked up again and had no troubles till the end of the track. It did this twice in a row in exactly the same spot on the track. The main suspect we think is the carby which is has been played around alot by the previous owner as it sounded as through it was getting too much or not enough fuel. I was thinking of getting a standard carby and trying that and it has an electric fuel pump on it and was running on lead replacemenmt fuel. Any one got any ideas as to what I could check or what the problem might be?

#2 ·
it could be ur carby but i might check that electric fuel pump, could be faulty.
it shouldnt be too hard to fix ur air/fuel mixture, if u want to check if its too lean, just rev ya car in neutral to about 4-5 grand and let off the throttle, if the exhaust pops when u let off then its probably too lean, alternativley if u see black smoke (i think) then its too rich and ur carby's probably flooding.

y dont u juts buy a new set of side draught webbers, it will give ur car more power as well, plus the engine bay will look tougher lol

#3 ·
What carb/s have you got first? an electric fuel pump is good but you may be getting too much pressure into the fuel chamber in the carb,you really dont want over 4psi with webers.Go and buy a fuel pressure reg for one if you havent got one.
I would then check ignition possibly points closing/and see what your plugs are doing while your at it.

#4 ·
The carby is the standard webber which was fitted with larger jets (don't know what size) and the fuel pump is one for 6 and 8 cylinders that cost $90. I have fitted new points and plugs as these were pretty ordinary and filled the car with optimax. I have also noticed (since i replaced the points) that it has a slight hesitation when the accelerator is floored and it also backfired through the carby this afternoon. I'm pretty sure the timing is not right but I am unsure how to set this due to the large cam.

#5 ·
HSV.ETA said:
The carby is the standard webber which was fitted with larger jets (don't know what size) and the fuel pump is one for 6 and 8 cylinders that cost $90. I have fitted new points and plugs as these were pretty ordinary and filled the car with optimax. I have also noticed (since i replaced the points) that it has a slight hesitation when the accelerator is floored and it also backfired through the carby this afternoon. I'm pretty sure the timing is not right but I am unsure how to set this due to the large cam.
Has the head beeen converted to unleaded if not you will start to burn valves without valvemaster or a leaded fuel addative,
Timmign through a timming light on and see how far its out according to the idicator marks. If it needs moving adjust the dizzy to suit.as for checking cam timming first set the crank tdc to the mark on the pulley and block take the rocker cover off,check to see if the no1 cyl exh/inlet valves are facing up and are parrallel to the block (critical) put a steel rule across the 2 lobes and measure down to a machined face on the head. if they are not level your cam timming is out and you need to remove timming belt and move cam so the lobes are level, then refit timming belt.

#6 ·
The head has been converted to unleaded but at the time I had a bit of lead free super in it which probably wasn't helping it has since been drained out and replaced with optimax. When I checked the carby mixture screw it was wound a long way out so I'm hoping this may be the problem and the car was flooding (does that sound right)? Since I have adjusted the mixture and checked a few things it seems to be running much smoother, quieter and revs cleaner so hopefuly the problem is sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.