Ford Forums banner

07 500 FWD Creaky brakes

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Problem started showing up at about 80K miles and now I have 99K miles. The issue is that the brakes "creak" when more pedal pressure is applied.The creaking has gotten worse. Best noticed at a drive thru lane where there is a wall to reflect the sound. So you are applying just enough pedal pressure to keep car from rolling. If you press harder, you hear a creaking sound until the pedal won't move anymore. Ford dealer says its not a safety issue and that sound is coming from the brake booster ($600 to replace). Dealer says they get a few like this but never saw a problem because of it.

I thought maybe that the brake fluid might needed to be replaced but the brakes don't feel spongy during stopping. Brakes are in good shape all around - about half worn.

It is mostly annoying to my wife - I don't care (for $600, I really don't care)

Just thought someone ought to hear about this.

#5 ·
Car is NOT rolling when I notice this problem. Perhaps I am in a fast food drive thru where the wall of the building is reflecting the noise back to me. I have enough pedal pressure applied so the car can't roll (in drive at idle). If I push harder on the brakes is when I notice the creaking sound. Its not like the pedal is spongy but the pedal does move. Annoying BUT otherwise, the brakes operate just fine and habe a "pedal feel" just fine.

It almost makes me want to pull the vacuum connection off the booster and spray some silicone in there. BUT that might not be advisable.

#6 ·
If the dealership has came across it before and say there is no safety issue , I'd live with it .You could try spraying WD40 or similar on brake pedal carrier and pedal return spring as on different cars that sometimes causes similar noise .Nothing to lose in trying .

#8 ·
Update. I changed the front rotors and pads and the creaking stopped (Motocraft rotors and pads) The previous pads were put on by PepBoys. Their ProStop pads have an extra shim on the backside of each pad. The shim has a self-adhesive that sticks the shim to the caliper pucks and to the outer side of the caliper. There was corrosion between that shim and the back side of the pad's metal plate. I think what might have been happening is when I pressed harder on the pedal, the shim distorted a bit and the corrosion caused a creaky sound. Its the only explanation as to why the creaky sound stopped. I'm happy, the wife's happy.:driver:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.