Ford Forums banner

08 Taurus Oil settings and other things

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jaedenhudson14 
#1 ·
Took my taurus to the quick lube shop the other day, and found out a bit of info on the car that has made me wonder what the heck is going on with it. First issue, the tech (who I know very well) showed me that I was quite low on oil. Dangerously low. Shouldn't the car tell me that it is low on oil? According to the manual it should tell me it is low on oil or if it needs to be changed, but I have never seen anything. Also, there are supposed to be settings in the message center setting pages on oil life and how to reset oil life. Those settings do not exist at all in my case. The compass does not show up either, and neither does the settings for that. I was low on coolant as well, but the message center never told me I was. I was completely out of washer fluid, and again, the message center never told me it was low. According to the manual, all of these warnings and such should come up in these cases, but I am never notified. The tech told me to keep an eye on these things as I have no way of knowing otherwise. My engine light is not on. Nor is any other light. Why am I missing all of these features in my Taurus? It is the Limited trim. Has everything I could want in a car, but having a message center that literally only tells me a few basic things bothers me.

#3 ·
According to this from another forum you should have oil monitoring system

" Engine oil life?

My 08 taurus limited just told me the oil life is only 5% left. But there's more than 1000 miles before the next scheduled maintainance "

To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
[approximately 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 6 months] perform the
following:
1. Press the SETUP control to enter
SYSTEM CHECK, then press SETUP
control again to display “OIL LIFE =
XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.
2. Press and hold the RESET
control for 2 seconds and release.
Oil life is set to 100% and “OIL LIFE
SET TO 100%” is displayed.

#6 ·
The problem I am having is I do not have that feature. These are the settings I do have.
Reset For System Check/Units <Eng> Metric/Autolamp 0 10 <20>/Autolock <On> Off/AutoUnlock <On> Off/Easy Entry On <Off>/Language=English/Reset For System Check
That is all I have access to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.