2005 Five Hundred rear brake failure??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 18:33   #1 (permalink)

2005 Five Hundred rear brake failure???

I have a 2005 Ford 500. Recently the rear brake failed after only 11000 miles. Anybody have any experience changing the rear pads. Need any special tools to push the caliper piston? or how to do it? Welcome any
advice.
fungbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 17:38   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 2005 Five Hundred rear brake failure???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungbest View Post
I have a 2005 Ford 500. Recently the rear brake failed after only 11000 miles. Anybody have any experience changing the rear pads. Need any special tools to push the caliper piston? or how to do it? Welcome any
advice.
What exactly failed??? Did they wear out??? You don't seem to have allot of miles on it for a 2005. At that mileage, I have seen from lack of use rust builds up on the rotors and causes pitting on the braking surfaces. This can lead to accelerated wear, brake noise, and sometimes pulsations. If you live right by the ocean (or large bodies of salt water) it's even worse.

EDIT- Found a TSB for 500's - TSB 07-5-9 deals with... drumroll please... rear brake drag from being parked an extended period of time. Covered if still under warranty

Last edited by tbird100636; 09-19-2008 at 17:52. Reason: Found TSB...
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 17:37   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2005 Five Hundred rear brake failure???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
What exactly failed??? Did they wear out??? You don't seem to have allot of miles on it for a 2005. At that mileage, I have seen from lack of use rust builds up on the rotors and causes pitting on the braking surfaces. This can lead to accelerated wear, brake noise, and sometimes pulsations. If you live right by the ocean (or large bodies of salt water) it's even worse.

EDIT- Found a TSB for 500's - TSB 07-5-9 deals with... drumroll please... rear brake drag from being parked an extended period of time. Covered if still under warranty
TSBs are generally covered anyway. I've taken in vehicles outside of warranty and it hasn't cost me a dime. Mind you, I get letters from the appropriate manufacturer in the mail to bring the said vehicle in. Only one that I've been notified about were safety related (seat belt spring in the Taurus)
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 13:59   #4 (permalink)

Re: 2005 Five Hundred rear brake failure???

Thanks for responding to my problem. When I said the rear brakes failed I meant the pads are gone and started making marks and noise on the roter. I drive the car all the time except most of the driving
(70 %) is in the city. Still I find it adnormal.To me the brakes should last more than 30 thousand kilometre.( Canada )Ford changed the rear brakes free.(one time ) However I am sure it will fail again after another 10000 miles. That is why I am planning of changing the brakes myself next time and seek help from anybody reading this post. Will appreciate any help!
fungbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego