6 speed auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 12:03   #1 (permalink)

6 speed auto

I just purchased a new 2005 500 over the weekend.........the manual is alittle brief on using the "L" gear in the trans........I do some mountain driving and in my last GM product..I would use "2" to save the brakes on down hill runs??????? Any ideas.....I am afraid to put it in "L"
jbaker6094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 13:11   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 6 speed auto

You'll save more wear and tear on the engine and trans than you will on the brakes. Brakes are cheaper to replace than a transmission so it's best to try to modulate your foot so that the car holds a gear to keep momentum while traveling though the mountains. It's a bit straining to do when you don't have the gear options. Remember to brake hard and quickly so in a second you'll loose 5-8mph and the brakes won't overheat and fade.

Low is more for when your towing around town or carrying heavier loads. It should lock out the top two gears (both OD). If you keep your speed at or below 60mph you shouldn't have any problem using it, but the engine will be noisy.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 22:41   #3 (permalink)
aka "David"

confused Re: 6 speed auto

Thats on the Nisian tranny. I'm not too sure it works this way on the newer Ford designed tranny that is in the Taurus. Do you know about that?
jonas1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Nissan tranny? Huh? All transmissions are made off the same principles. The torque converter decides what gear to be in according to your road speed and angle on the pedal. I wouldn't use 'low' on the selector unless your below 35mph. On six speed transmissions you generally have two over drive ratios. Downshifting the transmission to a lower gear manually when going downhill is fine, but unnecessary in todays modern cars. Only if you carry heavy loads or tow should you increase the rpm. The only benefit of increasing the rpm is when carrying a fully laden vehicle, and/or towing to keep the tranny from overheating and causing damage. If it's just you and a couple passengers in the car, just leave it in Drive - the car knows what to do.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 22:57   #5 (permalink)
aka "David"

I read in Consumers or C & D or other mag that the L position on the Ford six speed auto is only for the 1st ratio only. Like in the Cruisomatic days. And that it would not advance beyond that. Maybe I misunderstood them. And right, they are on principle the same conceptual design. But often they do not operate in the same manner with similar input from the operator. That is why I questioned the answer given above. That the tranny would remain in the lower four ratios in the Ford design. You are of course referring and advising about the Nissan Tranny, not the Ford.
jonas1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego