Best oil to use in my 2009 Taurus SEL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 15:13   #1 (permalink)

Best oil to use in my 2009 Taurus SEL

I have done a search and nothing came up regarding oil recommendations. I now only have two cars to worry about and would like to use the same oil, in my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe i use valvoline 5w20 conventional, the Taurus manual recommends Motocraft 5w20 semi-synthetic. I have read some oil reviews and the Valvoline rate higher than the Motocraft and is cheaper than the parts store house brand. Can anyone give me their recommendations regarding experiences with Motocraft oil.
kjphilippona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 16:51   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Best oil to use in my 2009 Taurus SEL

Personally I'd stick with whats been run in the car. That is if you know.

I have to ask, did you not like the new Sonata? We bought a new 11 limited. Pretty nice car.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Best oil to use in my 2009 Taurus SEL

I didn't have any issues with Motorcraft semi-synthetic when I used it briefly. AutoZone sells it. I used it when they were out of Valvoline Durablend, which was a Synthetic blend. I've also used Castrol Sytntec Blend, Syntec Full Synthetic, and now use Mobil 1 exclusively.

At Autozone, Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is $4.59 qt., $19.99 for a 5 qt. bottle. Castrol Syntec Blend and Valvoline Durablend are both $5.99 qt., no prices for 5 qt. bottle on those for my store but they may be available in yours.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:45   #4 (permalink)

Castrol Syntec Blend and Valvoline Durablend are both $5.99 qt
Old 06-13-2011, 15:05   #5 (permalink)

Yes jwko i do like the 2011 Sonata, i actually went to the Hyundai dealership since i work for a Korean company that makes the weatherstrip for Kia and Hyundai, looking to buy a Sonata. They wanted $42 for the Turbo $38 for the Limited and $22 for a plastic hub cap, cloth seat, program car with 30k miles on it. I got this Taurus for $16 and it had 36k miles and i think is nicer than the Sonata.
Old 06-13-2011, 17:57   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

WOW! 38k for a Limited? Here a new one will run around 27k. Anyway, sounds like you got a good deal on the Taurus.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26   #7 (permalink)

Re: Best oil to use in my 2009 Taurus SELA

I know it has been a while since the last post but thought i would add to it. I have been using the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20 with a Motocraft filter. I know everyone has an opinion as to what the best oil is or as what oil is junk, i am not sure if this opinion comes from a study someone conducted, what the oil looks like after so many miles or had an actual mechanical failure using that brand of oil. I know that two of the top oils i will never use again due to my own experience, i had a rod bearing turn using Mobil 1 and the engine start smoking using Royal Purple in my 95 Eclipse GS-T. I would be more comfortable using a full synthetic oil with Fords extended drain interval, but not sure what oil out there to use.
Old 10-09-2011, 14:02   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
. I have been using the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20 with a Motocraft filter.
Bingo. If that is the oil and filter that Ford recommends then that's good enough for me.
Motorcraft oil is produced and blended by Conoco-Phillips (Kendal,Union 66,Philips 76 Etc.) according to "Bob the Oil Guy" as of a couple years ago.
Ford motorcraft oil - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Old 01-19-2012, 20:11   #9 (permalink)
canuck

I run Amsoil 5W30 in my '99 Taurus. I use 5W30 in all vehicles just to simplify things. I see no difference running wise, over the OEM 5W20 non syn oil. I put about 15-18,000kms a year and do one oil change a year, again, to simplify things. Mileage is up slightly with the Amsoil. I generally set my cruise at 65mph. Been running the Amsoil for many years with no problems.

Bob is also my uncle. Don't believe everything you read as the media has their sources. I worked for a petroleum firm here in Ontario for many years. Semi synthetic oil is a marketing ploy. In some cases, there is no synthetic oil at all, only additives and detergents. If you take Jiffy Lube as one of many examples, they try to up-sell semi synthetic because they can get a buck or two more per quart sold in their pocket and the oil in fact is only 10-15% better than dyno oil. Going full synthetic costs more, and for good reason. Premium brands, even Quaker State who has one of the more expensive semi synthetic oils does use some synthetic stock, but even then it's very minimal.

Full synthetic offers superior driving range, and lowest cost per mile. One oil change per vehicle with this Amsoil once a year, saves me about $412 a year if I did 3-6 oil changes per vehicle each year. Not to mention the 5-8 hours I've saved.

Not to go even farther off topic, but if you look at the "working poor", they'll buy a $10 umbrella at the grocery store only for it to blow apart and tear with only a couple uses. A better $30 umbrella costs more, sure, but you'll have better chances with it causing you less grief down the road. Semi synthetic is a step up, but it's really only worth 25 cents or so more a quart. Go with full syn!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!

Last edited by 360ci; 01-19-2012 at 20:12. Reason: added
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego