Brake pedal squeak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53   #1 (permalink)

Question Brake pedal squeak

Recently did the front disc brake on 08 Taurus so new brakes all around

Noticed the brake pedal squeaks after it is pressed and released - so on the way back up. This is coming from under the dash...not from the brake pads, etc... Definitely by the pedal. I looked where the pedal rod goes through the firewall and there is a rubber boot. I sprayed some WD40 around the boot but it did not help. It almost sounds like it is coming from inside that boot or something. I can't figure it out.

Could it be air in the brake lines...pedal is a little soft but brakes seem fine?
boierlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 08:14   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Brake pedal squeak

A common fault with brake pedal squeaks is caused by the pedal return spring , usually where it hooks on .Dont know if this applies in your case , but worth a look .A spray with your WD40 normally cures , though in some cases I've had to pull spring clear and then spray behind with liquid grease .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Use a piece of hose to listen through to get a closer idea to where it's coming from. Have someone press ahd release the pefal and listen from under the hood too. It may be in the booste. Does it do it only with the engine running?
Old 10-27-2012, 20:59   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Could be a little air, but if it truly is coming from under the dash, it's more likely the shaft penetrating through the seal on the firewall. Try white lithium grease. It comes in a spray form with a straw to get it in tight locations.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06   #5 (permalink)

The squeak is there all the time for the most part...anytime the brake pedal is released. I have checked several times and greased the pivot points. It sounds like a rubber medal squeak and that it is coming where the brake pedal rod goes into the rubber boot on the fire wall. It looks like there is foam under the boot. I tried wd40 but maybe again with lithium grease?
It seems like it got worse after I did the front disk brakes...air in lines?
boierlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 18:21   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I'd try lubricating first, air in the lines should be difficult to hear inside the car.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego