"Engine Failsafe Mode" message - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 19:22   #1 (permalink)

Question "Engine Failsafe Mode" message

I have a 2005 Ford 500 Limited with V-6, AWD and CVT. A couple weeks ago I was in Southern Indiana during a pretty good snowfall. I was entering onto 65-N. While coming around the bend, The car slid just a tiny bit. Once stable, I noticed the maintenance light was on and the information display read "Engine Failsafe Mode". The car then drove like it was in 2nd gear even though it is a CVT. Almost like the engine cut off half the engine. It drove fine...no problems at all. I got to a fuel stop and went through the diagnostics mode in the information display. Everything checked out good. I then shut the car off, went into the fuel stop, grabbed a couple necessities and went back to my car. When I started it back up, the problem was gone. I was able to duplicate the problem in "1st gear". As I slid, the message came back. I then pulled off the road, turned the car off and restarted it. This time I put the vehicle in drive tried to make the problem happen again. I did slide a bit, but the message did not return. Might I add the first and second times were right turns and the third time was a left turn. Quite odd I thought, but I have not seen the problem reappear. Any idea on what could have done this? Other than that isolated incident, I have not had any issues with my vehicle.
harrybastidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 05:45   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: "Engine Failsafe Mode" message

Sounds like a fluke to me. Next time it displays the message get the dealer to read it with a scanner so they can diagnose it just to be sure the electrical system is functioning normally. If there's any kind of stability control on the vehicle it may not like you tossing it about, even if you don't mean to. Same thing on my Pontiac G6 (fwd), stability control kicks in when you try to have any fun with it in the white stuff. However, I don't get any engine codes on that vehicle.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 16:55   #3 (permalink)

The car did slip a little coming out of the turn. That's when it happened. I checked for traction control, and I do indeed have it. With it turned off, it doesn't happen. Perhaps it reduces power when it thinks an idiot like myself is behind the wheel? But anyway, Thanks for the insight. It was the traction control which was responsible for the message.
harrybastidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:12   #4 (permalink)

I have read many other threads on other forums that indicate that if you car goes into "limp home" mode, then the CVT is starting to go bad. It is a very expensive fix. Of course, if it hasn't happened since, maybe it was a fluke.

Who knows? I am not even sure Ford has their hands around all the CVT problems.
vanmald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 15:44   #5 (permalink)
Carguy 2000

Its a computer blip don't worry about it.
CarGuy 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego