Important Question about Transmission Fluid Flush + Filter Replacement 2005 Montego - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 20:52   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Important Question about Transmission Fluid Flush + Filter Replacement 2005 Montego

Hello,

I first want to say thanks to all of you great people out there for helping me out the last time I popped by the forum to ask for assistance.

I would like to ask a very easy to answer question...well hopefully easy to answer lol.

In a 2005 Mercury Montego Luxury (FWD), is it practical for the the transmission fluid (all 12 quarts) be exchanged, as well as a NEW transmission fluid filter installed?

This might sound very obvious, so please excuse my idiocy when it comes to cars - I unfortunately don't have much experience in this area.

The reason I ask was because I was at the dealership, and when I asked for the transmission fluid flush/exchange (full 12 quart) + a tranny filter replacement, they said it would be no problem. 2 hours later the boys from ford called and said that it would be impossible because the filter is internal and would require removing the transmission and thus could not be done.

I want to know if this was just a line of BS they handed me to avoid having to the do the job 3 hours before quitting time...or if they genuinely couldn't do the job.

So please get back to me when you guys can, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

biodole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 21:10   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Important Question about Transmission Fluid Flush + Filter Replacement 2005 Monte

#7 is the filter. Book time shows 2.7 hrs. I wonder if they have to separate the transmission from the trans-axle to access the pan. Looks that way on the diagram.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 21:39   #3 (permalink)

Re: Important Question about Transmission Fluid Flush + Filter Replacement 2005 Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
#7 is the filter. Book time shows 2.7 hrs. I wonder if they have to separate the transmission from the trans-axle to access the pan. Looks that way on the diagram.

Thanks for the quick reply...

That diagram certainly makes it seem that way.

So assuming this is 100% correct...would a fluid exchange and filter replacement be out of the question for standard practice? I think the regular menu price for the tranny exchange + filter is around $140-$150.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Doesn't it have the CVT transmission?
Old 06-20-2011, 22:43   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Important Question about Transmission Fluid Flush + Filter Replacement 2005 Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Doesn't it have the CVT transmission?
I think so Bert. Either that or a 6 speed auto. Definetely not a 4F50N (AX4N).

Ok, just looked it up, 6 speed auto's filter is internal to trans. case. CVT has 2 servicable filters. So biodole has the 6 speed auto. Takes 5 quarts of fluid for a drain and refill. Correct fluid is Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-8-QAW.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 23:29   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I just figured out my mistake. I looked up a Monterey. I'm gonna have to get some glasses soon.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20   #7 (permalink)

I'll make this very simple. If it has a pan it has a filter. The one in the picture has a
pan. Remove the pan and the filter, which you can see, will fall down on your head.
AX4S has no pan. No filter as to speak. Looks like a Honda transmission.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
I'll make this very simple. If it has a pan it has a filter. The one in the picture has a
pan. Remove the pan and the filter, which you can see, will fall down on your head.

Hey there...

thanks for the replies guys....one question though...

DOES this car (2005 montego) have the AX4S or not? If not, does that mean the transmission fluid and filter can be replaced without incident..and that the ford service guy was lying?

Secondly, would you guys RECOMMEND doing that filter/flush/exchange at the 100,000 mile mark? The car is right around 97K.

Thanks very much!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:39   #9 (permalink)

again i'll say this.Does it have a pan ? Look. If it has a pan there is a changeable filter.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 22:24   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Important Question about Transmission Fluid Flush + Filter Replacement 2005 Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
The AX4S is the AXOD/AXOD-E. All of which have a pan and servicable filter. But it really doesn't apply to the Montego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodole View Post
Hey there...

thanks for the replies guys....one question though...

DOES this car (2005 montego) have the AX4S or not? If not, does that mean the transmission fluid and filter can be replaced without incident..and that the ford service guy was lying?

Secondly, would you guys RECOMMEND doing that filter/flush/exchange at the 100,000 mile mark? The car is right around 97K.

Thanks very much!
No it doesn't have the AX4S or the AX4N. From what you originally described, it has the 6 speed automatic, the Aisin F21. NO NORMALLY SERVICED FILTER!!! There are fluid exchangers that tie into the cooler lines to fully exchange the fluid in the trans., cooler, and Torque converter. As long as you don't use any cleaner/flush additives or any shift improver additives, just exchange the fluid, you should be fine. You could also just do the standard drain and fill a couple times, what I mean is change the fluid, drive the car a week or so and change it again. This will get the fluid allot cleaner. If you haven't changed it at all yet change it now. They had issues with the 6 speeds and the CVT's in the 500's/Montego's, and unless Ford recently changed their policies, they are still only doing unit replacements instead of overhauls, at an outrageous cost.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego