instrument cluster issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 12:54   #1 (permalink)

frown instrument cluster issues

New to this forum but wanted to see if anyone else has had to replace the instrument cluster on their 2005 Ford 500. All the guages drop to zero for no reason as I am driving. Happened 4 times in last 6 weeks. Of course, won't pass inspection so now I am looking at a total of $700 to replace cluster and get inspection with labor. Car has 62000 miles so out of warranty. Has anyone else had this problem? Just curious how frequently it is an issue with the 500.

Also noted the one about window goes down instead of up - same thing with mine but thought it was just me.
lovedmyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 15:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: instrument cluster issues

Yes. I have a 2006 Ford 500 built in Nov of 2005. The entire cluster lost power and then returns sporadically. When the power is out to the cluster, the backup lights turn on, in any gear. I have the instrument pod apart now and am looking at the traces (circuit) and a relay that seems to control the power to the panel. If I wiggle the plug in from the cable loom, I can get it on and off, but not to stay. I have checked the plug, but don't find any apparent problem there. I am stopped for the moment trying to figure out how to remove the needles on the gauges without damaging anything. This is needed to acces the back of the circuit board where the relay appears to be mounted. I have found numerous reports of this problem online, and will call Ford tomorrow to see what their replacement policy is. I'll let you know. Have you replaced the cluster?
dbd0063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:52   #3 (permalink)

Re: instrument cluster issues

I had the same problem with my 2005 ford 500. the guages kept dropping and sometimes they would say i was at a certain speed even if i came to a stop until i slapped my dashboard. when this happened my ac would turn off and a light would come on my dashboard that showed my airbag was used. This went on for months until finally my car would stop, the engine was on but it was like I was in neutral and could not excelerate. I would come to a stop (pull over) and then turn my car off, turn it on and it would be fine. I took it to ford and they said i needed a new instrument cluster, cost me $660...doesnt happen anymore but i am NOT happy about this, i think it should be recalled, seems like a lot of other people are having this problem....
vanessa2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego