Just bought my first car - A 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD! :) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 19:12   #1 (permalink)

Just bought my first car - A 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD! :)

I just bought my first car, a used, clean 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD with the CVT transmission. It's great so far! It has a salvage title because it had minor water getting in and flooding, but the issue was fixed and it no longer has the issue and everything works like new. It currently has 111k miles and I will be replacing all the fluids (oil, power steering, transmission, windshield washer, brake, etc.) along with doing an alignment in a few days to make sure all of the fluids are at the right level.

Since it has a salvage title, I was able to get it for the low price of $3,700, which I think is a steal considering the year of the car, the condition it is in (very good - no rust or rips in the leather). I am 16 and a half and think this will be a GREAT first car, especially in the winter, although here in Boston we haven't even gotten snow here yet!

So, do you guys think I made the right decision? Is there anything I should know about the car? I plan on changing the oil every 3k miles and only using Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil 0w-40 along with changing the transmission fluid every 30k. Does that sound about right?

Thanks! If there's any thing that I need to know, please tell me by posting below! :)
bd7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 20:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Just bought my first car - A 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD! :)

I forgot to mention it in my post, but there is one thing in the car that doesn't work, and it's the drivers side passenger window up/down control button. If you try to put down the passenger window using the drivers side window controls, it doesn't go down, but if you go over to the passenger side and use the passenger side window button, it works fine.

How much do you guys think this will cost to fix? Is there a quick DIY guide on how to fix this? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 20:54   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That sounds like a good deal if it really was fixed right. You don't have to change the engine oil that often but the rest sounds right. There's a high pressure filter for the transmission that should be replaced too. That transmission gets very good gas mileage. They are expensive if they go out but they usually last longer then the other type.

Here's a diagram for the power windows. | Repair Guides | Windows (2006) | Windows (2006) | AutoZone.com You can also check the online manual there for other needs.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:31   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Just bought my first car - A 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD! :)

Be forewarned futher about the transmission. When it goes, big money to replace/repair. Please refer to the merged thread of this section. Also, correct oil is 5W20, which is readily available in Synthetic, including Mobil 1.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 18:55   #5 (permalink)

It has a salvage title because it had minor water getting in and flooding,

Wow I would have had that checked out really well.
Old 01-16-2012, 17:56   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post
It has a salvage title because it had minor water getting in and flooding,

Wow I would have had that checked out really well.
Had it checked out. 100% fixed, also, it rained for 3 days straight last week (both heavy and light rain at times, with wind mixed in) and I went inside the car and everything was sealed up tight. No leaks or water coming in from anywhere, and it was out there all three days.

That was the first thing I checked when I got the car lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego