Rear Brake Issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego Forum for the discussion of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, 2008+ models Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 19:37   #1 (permalink)

Rear Brake Issue

Hey all,

Traded in the Grand Marquis for an '05 Montego..Changed rear brake pads yesterday,got the retractor tool from O'Reiley's..Left side retracted like a dream, put in new pads,installed tire,pumped the brake pedal a few times,and the tire spun nice and free..

The right side was another story. After doing the same as left side ,the pads/caliper seemed to be hanging up, a lot of resistance.I thought they just needed breaking in..Not the case. On short trips around the block the RS rotor was at 225 degrees.The other 3 were at 128 degrees..

I tried retracting the piston again with the same result, so my logic says caliper is hung up/not retracting. So I replaced the caliper tonight and Son Of A Gun , it is still not retracting when brake pedal is released. Is there something that I am missing?

The slide pins were free and lubed ,the caliper floated in the caliper bracket nicely right before pumping the pedal.

All input is welcome as always
trouble1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 08:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rear Brake Issue

I will give an update on this issue so the next guy can learn from my ordeal..

The rebuilt caliper from O'Reily's was built with a right hand threaded piston shaft..It is supposed to be a LEFT hand theaded shaft...

After many dis-assembly/ re-assembly / bleeding/cycles thinking I missed something, I found a document on alldata that mentioned the left hand thread for the right side caliper...sure enough..Took caliper apart again and discovered a RH shaft on piston...Took caliper back to O'Reily's,,bench tested replacement caliper for LH shaft, re-installed and all is good now..

Lesson Learned..Just cause its rebuilt does not mean its done right.

Glad I caught this as I was starting to think ABS module was bad..$800.00 ouch..

Hope this helps someone down the road..

Duane
trouble1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Thanks for update , will certainly help others though bit disturbing if that is the standard of their recon parts , especially brake parts .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 18:07   #4 (permalink)

They'er made in China. What do you expect. I've seen worse made in the U.S.A. No
offense to my neighbors to the south. The parts made in Mexico and Korea are pretty good. What do you think the " K " in KYB stands for ? The parant company is in Tetsusho
Kayaba Japan. Yes the K stands for Korea.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus 2008+| Mercury Sable 2008+ | Lincoln MKS | Ford Five Hundred | Mercury Montego