Ford Forums banner

Autosalon Db Drags

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Walkinshaw 
#1 ·
I competed in the dB drags at the Melbourne Autosalon on the weekend and it was a bit dissappointing to see such inconsistency between dB drag contests. What I mean is that the SPL microphones are always calibrated differently between competitions which makes it impossible to keep track of system improvements etc.

For example, the old system in my EA hit 141.1dB at the Strathfield Thomastown Db drags......the same system after I moved it into my sister's N13 Pulsar Hatch only hit 143.9dB at the Autosalon, when clearly it was WAY louder than when it was in the EA. Even the 152dB Car Audio Australia car was hitting only around 147db on the weekend! Lots of people were saying the microphone's were reading lower than they should have been on the day but no one knew by how much...which makes it hard to compare scores.

In my opinion after listening to other loud dB car's, my sister's system should have pulled around 146db. It made you feel sick sitting inside! Anyway, it was still good enough to pull off second place in her class :) Not bad for a 2hr 'slap job' install. It's just the inconsistency that bug's me that's all :(

#2 ·
Yeah inconsistancys give me the shits. At one comp i got 141.5 from my single 15" (and ive got LPG as well so im prettty happy with 141.5), and at another comp i could only hit 139.3! masive diffrences!.

Still i think the Car Audio Australia car you are refering to, (The guy posts as Purps at CAA) did get 152 in the finals, with his 4xResponce 12's and 2x PH2D's.

Im competing in Adelaide Autosalon SPL comp, hoping to give the single woofer guys a run. 141.5 will hopefully be enough to get into top 5 loudest single woofer cars.

#3 ·
The sound off I went in and got 140.1db everyone there said the normaly get around 5db-7db more then what they got, as this was the first one I went to I never herd of this b4, so maybe my system is capable of 145db+........ I cant wait 4 the next one:)

#4 ·
SPHELL, I think I saw you at the Auto Salon on Sunday, were you there?

I didn't know if it was you or not??

Sundeep

#5 ·
On of the things I noticed has an effect on my car is the temperature of the boot/cabbim.
On a hot day(30 deg and above), I'll gain around 1.5-2dB as opposed to a cold day.

Well done Doug, good to hear you made it down to the salon, and did well. I managed to pop past on Sunday but I didnt see too many people, besides a few from the CAA gang.

Well done mate.

Ciao.

#8 ·
I went last year and some young-ish guy had a Brabus modified new Mercedes S Class. My friend with the Lancer show car told me there is a bit of a story behind how he got the money for it...

#10 ·
yeah I was there sundeep so you probably did see me :) Bass, it was weird, you usually see heaps of people you know there but I only saw some of the guys from CAA as well.....bought a bass CD off MRTEK. Seems they still have the usual crew at CAA. Jbolger, I would have taken the EA mate if I didn't rip the system out of it the Friday b4 the Autosalon! I'm gonna be doing a new install soon, but I don't know if i want to go for a light weight install for performance or else do a full blown four 15's type of thing for SPL. After the autosalon it makes you wanna fit as many subs in your car as you can!

#13 ·
My friend got 144.5db in the Adeliade Saloon... that was in his Barina... heh

#15 ·
yeah i think the descrepencies depend on the meter, my mate (Phat 33 from CAA) gets consistant 145.1 to 145.6dB in his excel, with 2 JL 12s, he doesnt change things ever, just plays the same freq, and most comps up here use the same meters, cant remember the name of them though, but when they import meters from down south that are a different brand he gets a worse score.

#16 ·
The meters from down south and the ones that are used for Auto Salon, dB drags are made by TERMPRO. These are usualy seen as a "harder" (read: more accurate) meter. They often read 2-3db lower than some other meters (Audiocontrol) but usualy are more accurate. 145 in an excel from just 2x JL12's inst to bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.