Drag racing question- Improving my Launch? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Drag Racing Technique
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 13:59   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Drag racing question- Improving my Launch?

Im just wondering what you guys with drag racing experience would do in my shoes.

On the weekend I ran a 13.67 at 105mph with a 60ft time of 2.5 seconds. I have a single spinner 3.27 diff at the moment. I was stalling the 4 speed auto to 1600rpm. Its a turbo EB falcon.

My launch is fairly slow IMO. I need to speed it up.

Would I be better off getting a decent stall convertor or a set of 3.9 diff gears?

Will I run out of legs with the 3.9's by the end of the track?

I know there is a few 10 and 11sec fords running a long diff ratio like I currently have and a stally.

The problem is if a stally would be better Ill put a C4 or similar in because there is more aftermarket support for them.
With diff gears Ill keep the 4 speed. The car is street driven as well. I plan to continue driving it to the drags and driving it home.

What do you guys think I should do?

Cheers
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 19:02   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: Drag racing question- Improving my Launch?

I'd change the gears, as even if you raise the stall speed, it still may not be enough to launch at the right rpm with enough boost.

You won't run out of speed at the top end, it will simply slot into 4th if need be.
You may not need 3.9:1 anyway, 3.45:1, or 3.7:1 may be enough.

From what I can gather, there isn't any decent convertors for the 4spd anyway.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 23:33   #3 (permalink)

I belive you can get a 2500rpm converter and retain the lock-up mechanism in it. If you speak to dominator they might be able to go higher for you. I would go fo a 3.7 lsd and try get a higher converter. I wouldnt go to a c4 thats for sure.
Nice times anyway!!!
ClevoCapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 23:58   #4 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

I reckon a 3.27 diff would suit a turbo Falcon, because of the flat torque curve. What RPM is it pulling in 3rd over the finish line?

An LSD/spool would help a lot, as well as a softer rear end, and a softer front too, to lift the front and get some more weight onto the rear wheels.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 00:15   #5 (permalink)
traction LTD

there are plenty of converters out there for the 4speeds.
i opted to have mine opened up and tweaked as the brand new one was$300 more.
its around 2400rpm, also had the lock up removed.
get your self some slicks and stall it up till it starts crepping.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:58   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Your best investment would be to loose the single spinner. You'll more than likely gain .3 of a sec easy enough. may as well go 3.7 or 3.9 while your there too.

Brenden
Old 11-25-2004, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Im not sure what rpms Im pulling across the finish line but Im pretty sure Im near the top of third.
Can someone figure it out? Im doing 168km/h at the end with a 3.27 diff.

An LSD is definately on the cards when I get some cash together again. Can anyone tell me what gears would be most suitable?

Is there problems with the lock up when accelerating hard in 4th gear? I heard someone at heathcote mention something like that but I cant remember exactly what they said.

Would any of you guys in my shoes convert it to manual as it is mainly a street car? There is a part of me that would like to convert it but then I need to worry about a frying clutches, inconsistant launches, breaking the T5 etc etc.

thanks for your help guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 00:28   #8 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

If you're serious about your track times, put in an LSD but don't go too steep on the gears. you don't need to rev it too high with the turbo. If you can find one to fit in the auto you have get a trans-brake installed. It will let you spool up the turbo on the line and you will see a massive difference in 60ft and ET if you have taken care of the other things like tyres and diff. You will also need to get a new converter, preferably a built up one with anti-balloning plates and furnaced brazed fins to take the extra heat and pressure. A good trans cooler if you don't have one should be put in too.

Check out this article at hotrod.com for some good info on trans-brakes.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/d...13_0205_trans/
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:21   #9 (permalink)
heard it before!

i would certainly go an lsd, ratio may end up being trial end error, when i was reading your other threads i noted a few things
you couldn't stall it up too much cos it would break traction, if it was only spinning one wheel at this moment an lsd will help

my old XR6 EB had nearly 400,000 kays and still sqeeled a bit of traction loss on take off without stalling it up it had 3.45 LSD(which is what i would try first)(should be able to find one ready to go for under $500,LSD effect will probably not be all that good around corners)

i am a bit supprised you're car does not make much boost before 50 kmh, my XG 3.27lsd auto does not impress me like the XR6 with 3.45(both not turbo of course)

with good tyres you could possibly get it to stall without spin upto boost and this would help 60' times, otherwise you will NEED a high stall(2500 high stall in my brothers 351 XF with 3.23 was amazing to 80 kmh)but as stated no such thing available?

in short, LSD3.45, high stall
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:35   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Are you having traction troubles?? Micheal has slicks, almost no shocks and open wheeler.It launch's real good!!! Fit a BIG cooler on that auto and fit AU relays...
I wouldn't go lower than 3:45..I guess you can undo shock nuts alittle, same with sway bar???? Slicks and d/shaft loop, way to go....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Drag Racing Technique