Ford Forums banner

EB Vs VP Commodore

8K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  fordrule 
G
#1 ·
I got EB series two fairmont i was just wondering how it would go against a Vp Commodore, mine has everything standard apart from 2 1/2 inch exhaust

cheers

also how many kilowatts are theses cars its a 4.0l mpfi by the way

#4 ·
4.0lt MPI is about 148kw's standard.

A MPFI, of MPI, engine is Multi-Point Fuel Injected, as opposed to CFI which is Centre-point injected or something. MPI produces more power (eg 3.9CFI=120 kw, 3.9MPI= 139kw) for comparible fuel use :evilhehe:

:grom: just though i'd put this ere

G
#7 ·
the vp which is my mates is a 5 speed manual, mine is a auto, so you rekon the ol' EB has a chance against Vps and the rest of the holden mob that are a lil bit older.

ive never really given the fairmont much but when u take off it seems to go quite slow until it gets to about 50 - 0 then it seems to take off abit.

i have a feeling my mates VP would whoop my fairmonts ass as he has genie extractors and a 3 inch exhaust and that car is bloody fast. in second his gets up to 120 or something has shit loads of power, but against any other standards you guys think ill have a chance, Sweet.

i thought id be losing all tha time

cheers

Damien

#9 ·
even if both cars were auto's the commodore would win.
if i recall correctly i don't think the VP's were much slower then VN's, and my mates Auto VN mauls my Auto EF (both are dual fuel) but still :)

#12 ·
I eat my mates VP for breakfast in my auto EF. His VP has an exhaust and extractors but is an auto. My other mate has a VS Wagon with a 3.8 in it with big injectors, cold air intake, exhaust, knocked out cat (shhh!), oil cooler.. beats me :( and its also auto, but the motor in the vp/vn/vr are different to the VS motors, VS motors are alot better. but anyway im talking about holdens here so i better just shut up :p lol

by the way i wouldent call pulling 120km/h out of second "extremley quick".. :D

#14 ·
i can beat a VR or VS no worries. (stock)
my cars stock and an auto and my mates VN seems to be a lot quicker off the mark, i'll have to try again, maybe it was just me :p
was the first time i'd dragged ;)
but anyway!

#15 ·
Damien, u cant really compare like that. You have too consider the miles done on each car, what condition the block and head are in, the state of the gearbox, fuel used, ignition advance, etc.
The commie gearbox has different gear ratio's too... 1st in the EB was 2.39:1, on the commie it was 3.06:1 (i think) so the commie will launch alot better than yours. I think also the falcon was heavier too..

Brent

#16 ·
vp vn com vs eb falcon

hay guys a stok eb falcon will get its ass wipped by a stok vp comm the comm go alot harder off the line. i got an eb and i always used to try drag vp and vn v6 and off the line they used to eat me. Now i`ve done sum modes and i can bet vn bt1 5ltrs and also vs 5ltrs and a few other cars as well. all you need to bet a vn or vp 6 is diff gears and you'll be shoked how good it goes off the line.

My mods-----------------------------------------------------------------------
4:11 diff gears with minni spool, 2.5inch high flow exhaust system, extractors, Stage 5 cam, ported heads, vlave springs,10:1 compression, AU Internals, lowered springs and shorttened shookers, custom air intake. 4 speed auto and stokies all round. [STOKEB]

#18 ·
Ahh yes...my EBII Fairmont seems quite slow off the line too...funny really, because I seem to remember my old XF MPFI SPac being a little quicker from a standing start (could be just my memory).

It was a little scary the other day though, when I was behind a caravan doing 90 and I put my foot flat to the floor to overtake
(causing the auto to kick down to second I think) - I really wasn't expecting that much grunt! We seemed to be past it in a bit of a hurry, and were doing 130-140kph when I pulled back in. I haven't been behind the wheel of a Falcon for some time.

Damien

#19 ·
Guys we have to bear in mind these factors of an E Series falcon compared to the equivelant commodore.

The Commo has an inheritently stronge off idle torque and combined with a shortish 1st and 2nd gear in the auto and the fact it has a 150kg advantage over the falcon theres no second guess's as to which one will get the jump to say 50-60km/h.
(Thats why the average joe public will feel in the seat of there pants that a commo is more punchier).

Have a kickdown race while doing 60km/h, 80km/h and you'll see the falcon will shine it's light. Especially doing 90-100km/h and going up hill the falcon will leave the commodore car lengths behind. Note though i'm talking about the multipoint engines, the cfi is a very very narrow banded engine ie it feels on song between 2500-3750rpm.

Comparing a manual falcon and commodore it would be fairly even of the line but the falcon will pull away as the speed increases. The manual makes the falcon so much quicker than it's auto sisters, whereas the commodore it's not as bigger difference.

#20 ·
if u guys think that commy's r quicker than falcons u must be on drugs!!!!
i hav a multi point 3.9 ea 5 spd and i beat auto vn's with cat back exhausts and auto vs's with full systemsand tricked up trans's. and all i hav is a extreme heavy duty clutch, cat back red back 2.5 inch exhaust and a pod filter with 15/65 205's all round i get shit loads of wheel spin and beat the vs by half a car and vn by 3 cars

#25 ·
-haha nice so'll have no probs beaten my mate!

also the guy i bought my EA off sed he had an EL, n he took extractor off my
EA put them on his EL n he said my EA still had way more grunt then the EL, although
my EA is a manual, n his EL was auto, i think for a 6 the 3.9L MPFI is a power house
with the EL exhuast manioflds hahaha.

#21 ·
I agree, I used to have an el auto with full exhaust, it made it go so much harder it isn't funny. 0-100 about 7.3 seconds (vt 5.0 v8 manual did 0 - 100 in 8.2 stock). Remembering the el manual did 0-100 about 8.0 stock, they are as quick as commodore's if not quicker (all thing being equal, eg manual/exhaust or stock). Remembering the eb xr6's were as quick as a vp clubsport, and are still as quick as the supercharged 3.8's, they aren't a push over in these cars, but get an xr6 turbo if you want to go fast I say!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.