Ford Forums banner

EB XR8 vs EF XR6

5K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Supa R00 
#1 ·
Now this may be a bit childish but I own an EBXR8 and my uncle owns an EFXR6 both are autos and standard.
Just want to know who would win the drag. He recons the 6 will blow me away.

#4 ·
Well I know in stock form the EB/ED XR6 were slightly quicker down the 1/4 than the XR8.

I am not sure on what the weight differences are between the EB/ED & EF series falcons. Also are the diff ratios any different?

I dont know about blowing away either, you will find the XR8 comes into it's own up higher in the rev range.

Mine tends to really kick in at around the 2800 - 3000 Rpm mark, where the 6 might be starting to run out of puff.

Remember all those years back where the 351C powered XY GTHO & the 265 Hemi powered E49 pull simular 1/4 mile times.

#6 ·
Who really cares, yours will sound good, his won't, yours is likely never to blow a head gasket, his headgasket blowing is likely, yours has a better torque from idle, his doesnt, yours is likely to have less problems, yours is likely to have less oil leaks and best of all once again it will sound better! :hehe2:

#7 ·
yeah what damage said!

All you need to do to the EB XR8 is a set of extractors, bigger throttle body any an EL2 upper and lower intake and you can say byebye to the XR6 no probs. Then get a diff with lower gears like 3.23 or 3.45 and he will have no chance.
There is a HEAP more aftermarket parts for 5ltrs out there than 6's. All ppl with 6's can do to beat ya is chuck on a blower or turbo. But if they have to resort to that, you'll know their gettin desperate for power to beat ya.
I was sick and tired of dudes in 6's beatin me in my EBXR8. But as soon as I got my throttle body and extractors put on, I cleaned them up no probs. Naturally aspirated, your EBXR8 has a heap more potential than any six that I know of. (corect me if I'm wrong).
It's good to see a fellow 5ltr owner still tryin to kick it with the best.

BTW, I'm no 6 hater but I get a horn when I hear a PHAT 5ltr peggin the tread down the road. I love that sound!

blueoval

#8 ·
I put the NC (when it was stock) up againts a EF XR6 twice and both times we both passed 100k mark at the sometime, there was nothing in it the whole way. Considering the weight of the NC (and going againts what most people here think) I'd say your XR8 would match it if not do better, as for your uncle, tell him he's dreaming.....:)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti XR6 and they can bring the fight to the V8's

#9 ·
I reckon it could go either way. But I would put money on the 6. It will probably come down to driver/conditions/weight on board etc. I couldn't see the XR6 blowing you away though.

You know there is only one way to find out... At the legal off street drags.

Ash

#10 ·
All you need to do to the EB XR8 is a set of extractors, bigger throttle body any an EL2 upper and lower intake and you can say byebye to the XR6 no probs. Then get a diff with lower gears like 3.23 or 3.45 and he will have no chance.
What he said. Good exhaust and dif will do wonders.

#11 ·
I was wondering about the diff. Im shure the ebxr6 has a lower diff ratio, what i want to know is if the ebxr6 has the same diff as the ebxr8 can I just swap center's around. And if so how would I get a hold of an xr6 diff centre?

The LSD in my diff dosn't work so I have got to do something anyway.

#12 ·
I own a 91 EB S-XR8 and would prefer it even if it was slower because it has the big rumble baby!! It's my understanding that the more responsive XR6 will win the 0-100 km/h sprint by a couple of tenths, then once the big 8 gets into it's stride (over 80km/h) it will catch the XR6 and narrowly win the race to the quarter!

#14 ·
woulda thought the EF would pull a better 0-100 than that?

I was under the impression that a standard EF Auto does 8.6 for the 0-100. .5s aint much faster considering its a XR6 Man!

#15 ·
i was also expecting a little quicker from the EF!
go the ol'V8 eh!

#16 ·
I remember reading from a magazine that the EBII and ED GLi auto did the 0-100 in 9.3 secs and in my opinion, the heavier EF is slower, so's I reckon 8.1 is a good time for the EF XR6.

#18 ·
BTW, I'm no 6 hater but I get a horn when I hear a PHAT 5ltr peggin the tread down the road. I love that sound!
mate i love 6s but yeah i know where you are coming from - nothing is quite as good as a hot 302 pegged at about 5500-6000rpm as it goes down the road...

but back to the topic - the six would eat you...

a mate up here in brisbane went to willowbank on the weekend, was doing consistant 15.3s in a manual EF XR6 with extractors and exhaust.

EB XR8 was slower than EB XR6 and from what i have read 15.5/7 was about the norm for a manual EB XR6 (the XR6 was even faster than the EB GT around phillip island) so i come to the conclusion that you will get hosed.....

though please have a go and tell us all the outcome!!!!

#19 ·
Well I had a AUII XR6 5 speed on lease with a former employer (handed it back)and now use the EBXR8 auto as our daily driver.

I have also driven the AU1 185Kw XR8 in an auto, and the AU1 XR6 VCT.

My AUII XR6 was stock, and the EB has extractors 2 1/2 in system, chip, K&N panel filter, plus the tranny has been tricked up.

With the mods done to the EB it does feel the quicker car, it pulls much better and as stated before hand once it reaches around 2800 RPM it really kicks in.

Please dont take this as an insult guys, but sometimes I feel 90% of V8 owners dont have to prove anything. They enjoy the HP on offer and dont have to drive the street proving who they are.

Hey if I want to take a car down the strip, it will be our 302 powered XY GS. She is the goer in our family of cars.

#20 ·
Rollin - I agree with what your sayin in respects to the XR6 vs XR8 in standard form, the 6 would kill it for sure. My arguement was that with all the technology from the states for 5ltrs, the 6's wont have a chance to keep up once 'some' of these mods are put in place on a 5ltr. 6's will always be quicker until a 5ltr has the upper hand on aftermarket, naturally aspirated modifications implanted. A turbo or supercharger will only be a 6 cyl chance of beating a N/A V8. The only good thing I see that is advantageous in a 6 is its weight.

66_mustang - I'm in agreeance with you also, I've never had to prove my worth because I have a 5ltr. I own one because I love the sound and the power it has when I'm just cruising. Go your XY dude!

my 2c
blueoval

#22 ·
as rollin said have a go and let us know..

hey it depends who has the better run never know he might wheel spin till mid track and yeah its 50/50 i thought no matter what times are nearly similar aint they on QTR's ET's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.