Ford Forums banner

EL XR6 vs XR8

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  MADNC_8 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

A good mate of mine is looking into getting himself an EL XR6 or 8.
He is interested in both, however, would like to know how they compare in performance.

He knows pretty much what the I6 can do as he has helped me out heaps with mine, however, he is not sure wheather the XR8 is worth the extra $$$

So, what's the difference between them from factory? ie. 1/4 mile times

With small mods like full exhaust, air intake and diff gears, what 1/4 mile times or power increase should be expected. Oh, and im talking the 5 speed.

Finally, anything to watch out for when checking out the XR8. Common issues?

Thanks fellas!!!

#2 · (Edited)
the common things on the 8 are water pump and ps pump. ps pump gets a fair bit of heat when extractors are installed, so some sheilding is recommended. 8's with a few kms can have ticking lifters on startup...like the 6's. 90% of the time, this can be fixed with engine flush and thin oil.

the 8's have a pritty much bullet proof bottom end, provided they have been treated right.

as for performance, we lined up a 5 speed ED 6cyl with 3.27 free wheeler, (lowered was the only mod) with 160k and a v8 falc with (3.23 lsd) stock everything 220k (country kms) and they were pritty much line ball.

G
#4 ·
It's worth the extra money if he wants the unmistakable growl of the v8 with extractors/exhaust :D There's just something about the rumble of those cars that gets me quite excited..

Spose there wouldn't be much difference in performance between the I6 and V8, unless he went the series 2, but they'll be more pricey..

Does he wanna chuck a turbo on the I6? :D

#5 ·
There is a reason why the XR8s are worth more. Personally I'm not aware there is a huge difference in price (certainly not enough to make it a deciding factor). It comes down to personal preference really. I like a V8, not everyone does.

When I was looking to buy I saw an EL XR6 for $15,000 and an EL XR8 for $14,900 ono. Both were private sales, and both were in very good condition.

My point is that the price is also relative to the seller's [sometimes] dillusion of their car's value.

If you want the XR8, just look around for a week or two, though I would offer the same advice for the XR6.

#6 ·
i'd deffinately take the V8, if i was in the market for an XR, the 8 would have to be the go.

#7 ·
go the V8. you can't beat the rumble of a V8. However they do cost more to run higher fuel cost; dearer rego & insurance & some parts can be more expensive; all things worth considering if your mates on a budget

#9 ·
get some piccies simon!

#14 · (Edited)
Hey fellas,
Its a series one guys.
He managed to get an extension on the factory warranty for another 3 years... pretty damm good!

Went for cruise in it tonight, boy is it nice an smooth. Nice and quiet, lots of torque, and does not mind the bumps. Almost makes me wanna put stock springs back in the EA.

LOL.. haven’t raced him quickcorty

First thing to be done to the car is the audio system. He already has most of the stuff as his setup is based on mine, just need a few more thing, and in she goes.. i cant wait!

As for performance mods, it might have to wait a while due to the warranty.

I’ll see if I can manage some pics.

Simon

#15 ·
Re: Re: EL XR6 vs XR8

Bass Crazy said:
First thing to be done to the car is the audio system. He already has most of the stuff as his setup is based on mine, just need a few more thing, and in she goes.. i cant wait!
Does this mean your selling your system to him, or he just bought similar bits to you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.